The Monoceraptor is a monster which invaded Tyrannia along with an army of Tyrannian Neopets during The Tyrannian Invasion. Making its first visual appearance on May 10, 2001, he was the boss challenger of the war, coming after seven initial waves of invaders. Considered one of the most fearsome beasts of Neopia, it's thick leathery hide is full of scars from all the battles he won.
After the ransacking of Tyrannia, the Monoceraptor earned himself a place in the Gallery of Evil on May 11, 2001, but was replaced with Commander Garoo at some unrecorded later point for unknown reasons. It was implied at the end of the war the Monoceraptor was the puppet of some greater evil, although it is an open thread as to who this could have been. There is some speculation it could have been Dr. Sloth, and other believe it was a joke from The Neopets Team, who were testing the new Battledome system with the Tyrannian war and not creating a future plot.
The Tyrannian Invasion
- Main Article: The Tyrannian Invasion
The Monoceraptor was first mentioned in the Battledome's scrolling marquee, the day before the invasion itself began. The message read "The Monoceraptor will crush your puny Tyrannia!". Speculation as to who or what the Monoceraptor was was fuelled with a proclamation of his imminent arrival on 9th May. The Monoceraptor held true to his word, and stormed into Tyrannia the next day, after all his waves had been defeated.
The hastily assembled Tyrannian Army, weary from the intense waves of fighting that proceeded the Monoceraptor's arrival, fought together against him, until he was eventually defeated by a heroic Lupe.
The Monoceraptors Claw (as it is an item name, there is no possessive apostrophe) is one of the most powerful and valued weapons in the Battledome. It was for a time available for purchase from the Hidden Tower before it was retired, and can now only be bought from other users. Interestingly enough, the Monoceraptors Claw is blood red and blade-like, unlike with the green and yellow claw colour in images of the Monoceraptor.
The Monoceraptors Claw inflicts six icons of light damage, six icons of earth damage, six icons of fire damage, and one to six icons of physical damage.
- A Neopedia article for the Monoceraptor was released on June 12, 2001, but was replaced with Brightvale on January 25, 2007.
- The Monoceraptor is featured on a collectable card available only to Neopets Premium
- Pronunciation: Monoceraptor - mon-ossa-rap-tor
- NeoDeck: The Monoceraptor
- Caption Competition: #179, #1197
- Neopain Times: Unsolved Mysteries: The Monoceraptor, The Neopian News Brief - Week 96
- Editorial: 4, 28, 44
- Art Gallery: Tyrannian Victory Day Special 2004
- Neopets Poems: Tyrannian Victory Day Special 2005, Tyrannian Victory Day Special 2006
- Site Spotlight: Gargantyrant