Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Windows 7 Beta available as free download today

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced at CES that Windows 7—the highly anticipated followup to Windows Vista—will be available as a free, public download on Friday, January 9. Windows 7 Beta has been out in the wild (i.e., BitTorrent) since December, but if you've been waiting for things to get a little more legit before you tried it out, you won't have to wait much longer.

Pretty cool. I can't believe they're offering it as a free download. I'm definitely downloading it. Thought you guys might also like the heads up.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/tips/2009/ ... nload.html

Re: Windows 7 Beta available as free download today

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:30 pm

I might as well post this:
http://xkcd.com/528/

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:10 pm

I'm content with XP. I was afraid to get Vista on my new computer, and I'm afraid of downloading a Beta of Windows anything xD I'll wait until it's official and I've heard positive things about it. Maybe Vista was a decoy, you know, you make Windows 7 look amazing haha

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Hey, I finally installed XP service pack 2 on my computer a few days ago.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 pm

shapu wrote:I might as well post this:

...You beat me to it. '>.>

I'm still using XP, because, from what I've heard, Vista isn't amazing. XP is fine. :P

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:18 am

Helena wrote:I'm still using XP, because, from what I've heard, Vista isn't amazing. XP is fine. :P

Me too - Still using XP. Not terribly impressed with Vista(64).

If you've been trying to download Windows 7 Beta and saw the "not available right now due to inadequate servers" message, the download became available today. It's a 2.4GB download!

FWIW this Beta version will expire on August 1st, 2009.

Also, Remember, it is a Beta version.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm

I just got Windows 7 working on my laptop. I must say... o...m...g... it is sooooo cool!! Everything looks so much better and cleanerrr.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Frosty Snowmobile wrote:I just got Windows 7 working on my laptop. I must say... o...m...g... it is sooooo cool!! Everything looks so much better and cleanerrr.

The more important question, is it faster?

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 am

Himmelsdemon wrote:
Frosty Snowmobile wrote:I just got Windows 7 working on my laptop. I must say... o...m...g... it is sooooo cool!! Everything looks so much better and cleanerrr.

I can't say.
You may not disclose the results of any benchmark tests of the software to any third party without Microsoft’s prior written approval.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 am

Hunter Lupe wrote:
Himmelsdemon wrote:

I can't say.
You may not disclose the results of any benchmark tests of the software to any third party without Microsoft’s prior written approval.

Ok... does it seem faster?
Edit: err... compared to what? What did you upgrade from?

Other questions:
How did the install go?
Can it be installed as dual-boot?

Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 am

I upgraded from Vista and it appears faster. The boot in time also takes approximately 30 seconds whereas it took about 1.5 minutes before.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:01 am

Helena wrote:
shapu wrote:I might as well post this:

...You beat me to it. '>.>

I'm still using XP, because, from what I've heard, Vista isn't amazing. XP is fine. :P

what are you talking about?!?!
its a tad slow but i mean its just so cool!
im afreid too download as it might screw up my files or some thing.
ms paint is life for me and if i loos my clone troopers, well ill be mad.
but it looks cool any way.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 am

Windows 7 has new and improved MS paint. ;D

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 am

My father downloaded this.

Using BitTorrent. Australia sucks in not only does it have an internet limit, but uploads are also counted towards said limit.

Needless to say, he has managed to suck up 9gb of bandwidth in one day - the first of our billing cycle.

I have a hatred already :P

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:31 am

I just partitioned my hard drive. So far so good! Though many of the video game anti-cheat programs don't like it.
Topic locked