Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Things You've Done and want to Share with the World
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:20 am 

shapu wrote:
jellyoflight wrote:
Hydrochloric Acid is rubbish haha. We poured about 2 and a half bottles of the stuff into a plant once and it took ages just to -begin- to die. Then it came back to life!

Sounds like you had the low-octane version. I had a towel begin to dissolve in my hands from trying to wipe up some spilled HCl (because I am stupid).

HCl has a high Ka, and is therefore considered a strong acid. When molarity is high enough, it'll start to eat stuff.

NaOH (lye) is equally bad. I got some on my hand once and it burned my skin. It wasn't REALLY high molarity, but it was still pretty strong.

Interestingly, HCl is the acid in stomach acid. It's what dissolves your food.

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

theonlysaneone wrote:
shapu wrote:
jellyoflight wrote:
Hydrochloric Acid is rubbish haha. We poured about 2 and a half bottles of the stuff into a plant once and it took ages just to -begin- to die. Then it came back to life!

Sounds like you had the low-octane version. I had a towel begin to dissolve in my hands from trying to wipe up some spilled HCl (because I am stupid).

HCl has a high Ka, and is therefore considered a strong acid. When molarity is high enough, it'll start to eat stuff.

NaOH (lye) is equally bad. I got some on my hand once and it burned my skin. It wasn't REALLY high molarity, but it was still pretty strong.

Interestingly, HCl is the acid in stomach acid. It's what dissolves your food.

Which is why 1M HCl tastes like aftertaste of vomiting.

The more you know!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Los Osos, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
Continuing the chem theme: a couple geniuses got booted from my JC during my last semester there for combining the cleaning power of ammonia with the whitening power of bleach. Don't know why that is bad? Go study the history of chemical warfare.

And nominating myself for this award now: this morning I got up early for a flight later today, so I go to the computer to kill time. Normally, I get the internet signal via a router, but I had taken that down since I am getting a new router and giving my old one to my mom. Instead, I was getting the signal directly from the modem. For some reason, pages weren't loading. The modem was hooked up properly. The computer was fine. I didn't get it so I figured I'd go back to bed a bit more after disconnecting the modem so my dad can use it while I am away. Soon after I put my head on a pillow again, it hit me. I had to reset the connection by unplugging the modem. An action I had to on a regular basis since our signal occasionally gets messed up out here in the boonies. I guess I did need more sleep.

Set by Cukupan
Ohayo Nippon every Sunday at LW
I *heart* R
I'm on a boat like a boss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:03 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

jellyoflight wrote:

Hyrdrochloric acid is ebil AND rubbish lol. I had this metaly stuff in a test tube and I poured (too much) acid into it and it fizzed everywhere and I tryed to collect the hydrogen gas from the tube by putting my thumb over the top. But the stuff was so hot I was had to move my thumb and acid and metaly stuff went all over my hand. Yay.

jellyoflight wrote:
As a general rule, anything that can be set on fire WILL be set on fire during my class's chemistry lessons :D Gosh. We are rebels.

Me too! *high five* It's like "Ooh, wood. Let's burn it!" or "Can I burn this leaf plzkthanx" or something.

I don't exist. omo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ah, chemistry--you make fools of us all, and that's why I'm majoring in you!

The first time I did a flame test, I couldn't understand why all the flames were turning out a lovely shade of violet, with a few other tones occasionally showing up.

In general, it's a bad idea to label your potassium sulfate solution as water.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:19 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Johnny was a chemist's son,
But Johnny is no more.
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

No, I never officially left; yes, I am gone forever. I have also permanently left AIM. If you need to contact me, drop a line on LJ. Same username.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Tymaporer wrote:
Johnny was a chemist's son,
But Johnny is no more.
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

Oooh Science limerics?

There once was a man named Brite.
Who could travel much faster than light.
He left one day,
In a relativistic way,
And returned the Previous night.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:01 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Figgy Pudding wrote:

The first time I did a flame test, I couldn't understand why all the flames were turning out a lovely shade of violet, with a few other tones occasionally showing up.

Potassium is LILAC in flame test. :O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm 

I always thought of it as more of a mauve.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I feel rather surrounded by nerds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Moving on from the trend of the colours of chemistry, I recently started a new job as a "Meeter and Greeter" at a phone sales store. A gentleman walked in the door this weekend and I started to pitch to him like a good little employee. Turns out, the poor old gentleman was the branch manager and was far too polite to stop me mid-spiel... :oops:

It's coming...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Apricus wrote:
I feel rather surrounded by nerds.

Eh, me too, don't worry. :P I'm taking chemistry this year, but as I said, I've never worked with chemicals or anything, nor will I. We're doing ionic bonds or something.

But for me, this is nothing. Here's where you go if you want to know what it's like to really be surrounded by nerds. I hang out there sometimes, mostly to watch and feel like an airheaded moron. :D

No, I never officially left; yes, I am gone forever. I have also permanently left AIM. If you need to contact me, drop a line on LJ. Same username.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CWisgood wrote:
Figgy Pudding wrote:

shapu wrote:

Okay, in the future I shall be more precise about the way I describe colors on message boards. (The sad bit is, I picked out the color I dye my hair based on how pretty I find this flame. Perhaps I should just refer to it as Special Effects Virgin Rose? :P )

(In case anyone's interested: that's actually KCl, but looks as close to what we're talking about as anything I can find in 20 seconds of googling.)

My lab section wound up about 2 weeks ahead of the others, so the week after we did flame tests, our prof got us to identify the compounds in sparklers and other little firecrackers that he'd bought.

...it's not a very good idea to set off firecrackers indoors, especially not next to the open glassware cabinet.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:03 pm 

Figgy Pudding wrote:
CWisgood wrote:
Figgy Pudding wrote:

shapu wrote:

Okay, in the future I shall be more precise about the way I describe colors on message boards. (The sad bit is, I picked out the color I dye my hair based on how pretty I find this flame. Perhaps I should just refer to it as Special Effects Virgin Rose? :P )

(In case anyone's interested: that's actually KCl, but looks as close to what we're talking about as anything I can find in 20 seconds of googling.)

My lab section wound up about 2 weeks ahead of the others, so the week after we did flame tests, our prof got us to identify the compounds in sparklers and other little firecrackers that he'd bought.

...it's not a very good idea to set off firecrackers indoors, especially not next to the open glassware cabinet.

FWIW, chlorides do not emit light in a visible spectrum. The color of KCl in a flame test is the same as the color of any other simple potassium salt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:59 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Cracked up at the mention of cod in a fancy resturant.

Set by Byakuya'<3

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next