- 1 Operation kick ass
- 2 Spam bots
- 3 No account creation?
- 4 Images
- 5 Block editing of User Pages?
- 6 Help me!
- 7 Old Poses wanted
- 8 How did you got this Fleye.
- 9 Why do they have a Stone Fuzio? It's supposed to be unreleased!
- 10 Someone named User:126.96.36.199
- 11 Page "Kell" cannot be created
- 12 NeoDex Upgrade?
- 13 Old Neopets?
- 14 Flotsam Captions
Operation kick ass
Hi Macbeth. I sent you an email this morning, not sure if it is still an active email for you so I'm poking you here about it as well. If you don't receive the email, let me know with your new email and I will resend it. --Kym 19:12, 31 December 2010 (CST)
- Yep, that e-mail address still works :). I've replied. --Macbeth 12:10, 5 January 2011 (CST)
There looks to be a lot of spam bot edits in Recent Changes lately - does there need to be some sort of CAPTCHA installed or changed? I'm not sure if we have much server access with which to do that, though.... AySz88 23:43, 28 January 2011 (CST)
- Yes, there certainly has been! There are several captcha options we can look at - ConfirmEdit and ReCAPTCHA extensions - and certainly will do if this keeps up in the long term. I don't have server access myself, but I've e-mailed Kym about disabling account creations temporarily. I might ask him if I could have server access to /neodex to speed up dealing with this sort of thing in the future, though. --Macbeth 07:37, 29 January 2011 (CST)
- Looks like we might need that CAPTCHA solution soon, since now they're just editing anonymously. We'd need one on anonymous edits and one on account creations. AySz88 18:00, 8 March 2011 (CST)
No account creation?
Maybe I'm being silly and missed something but is there anyway to create an account here? I don't mind too much editing under an IP but it's nice to have a name. I figured I'd ask you as you're on the staff list and seem to be fairly active :P (Crimsonfox) 188.8.131.52 21:03, 13 August 2011 (CDT)
- According to the Current Events Page, account creation is temporarily discontinued due to some spam attack issues. I'm not sure when that happened or how long it will remain -Cath 21:50, 13 August 2011 (CDT)
- As Cath says, account creation was disabled because of automated spam. Any sysop can still make an account for you, though. If you send your desired username in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org I'll set it up for you and reply with your password (which you'll be able to change as soon as you log on). Looking forward to having you with us! --Macbeth 05:09, 14 August 2011 (CDT)
- Cheers guys, email sent. =) 184.108.40.206 19:11, 14 August 2011 (CDT)
Apologies for another question but is the image stuff pretty much completely broken or is there something I am missing? I can't seem to edit, resize, use "thumb" or upload over images. Are things just being worked on at the moment or is there another method on this wiki? Cheers, CrimsonFox talk 19:41, 18 August 2011 (CDT)
- Viewing an image's page throws up an mysql error (that's being
worked onlooked at imploringly) but they can still be placed in articles. Thumbs and resizing should be working, though? For example,
[[Image:Moncer.gif|thumb|left]] [[Image:Moncer.gif]] [[Image:Moncer.gif|80px]]
- The upright attribute with thumbnails only works for users signed in, which is a bit weird. You can still resize normally, though. I'm not sure about uploading over other images, I thought that was working to be honest! --Macbeth 19:52, 18 August 2011 (CDT)
Block editing of User Pages?
Hey, I've been noticing a recent rash of vandalism by people creating fake user pages... is there any way to block the editing of a user page by anyone who doesn't have an account? Honestly, other than a legitimate user, no one should be editing these pages and it'd make less for us to clean up. -Cath 11:50, 25 February 2012 (CST)
- As always, Cath, you have penetrated to the heart of the issue, but are this time quite ahead of the Mediawiki developers - I do not believe there is a way to do that per se. I think there might be something we can do to stop anonymous editors to make new pages whatsoever, though.
- However, when the spammers were creating hoards of automated accounts to spam, we retaliated by blocking account creation, and the spammers moved on to anonymous accounts. Stopping anonymous editors creating pages will probably just drive them to existing pages. To plagiarise Stanley Baldwin, 'The spammer will always get through.'
- Still, perhaps it is worth a go! I will look into it. Perhaps I can get range blocking working. In the mean time, I recommend we use infinite time blocks instead. --Macbeth 12:58, 2 March 2012 (CST)
- I certainly don't mind switching to infinite time blocks for users who are obviously just here to spam. They don't always come back but I've seen several back for a second strike after the first month elapses... it's not like they're ever likely to actually help.
- I agree that you may be right about the blocking of all new page creation and it'd be horrid to have them actually mucking with real pages. The range blocking would be great, actually... they often seem to post in very narrow bands, so it would definitely help, I just worry about being a bit too free with the range blocking and inadvertently blocking legitimate users.
- I mean, the simplest way to prevent them entirely would be to block both account creation and all editing by anything other than a legitimate user... but that might (or likely would) dissuade someone with real knowledge from ever helping out.
- Sigh... Lame spammers and their junky posts. :K -Cath 16:31, 2 March 2012 (CST)
- I would say that the first image is a group of Lennies and the second image is of a Koi. I don't know anything about Slorg colours in particular - but we don't update the colour sections until the style has been formally released via New Features anyway. --Macbeth 18:50, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
Also who's that slimy thing in the Haunted Marketplace. The Lupe petpage says that the Mutant Chia is gross but is that TRUELY a mutant chia? I do not look like Florg! Well there is this Mutant Kiko and Usul first and the Mutant Chia.220.127.116.11 20:15, 2 November 2013 (UTC)User:18.104.22.168
Wait! The Koi splash is a screensaver!!! 22.214.171.124 22:28, 2 November 2013 (UTC)User:126.96.36.199
- The creature behind the tree in the Haunted Marketplace is the first design of the Mutant Chia (like this: , ). --Macbeth 23:15, 2 November 2013 (UTC)
And the Aisha from the image from the Mutant article. And this Strawberry Korbat. The Strawberry Korbat reminds me of the korbats from the old logo. Find it in the old petpages in Talk:Neopet.188.8.131.52 03:43, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
Old Poses wanted
Edit:I do not care about these sites and THERE ARE FAN MADE!!!
How did you got this Fleye.
I just wonder where did you got this fleye picture and the petpage for Shadaa is from Bogleech. Is that his pet? 184.108.40.206 23:36, 12 November 2013 (UTC) And why is there is no old koi in there but in the petpage? 220.127.116.11 23:39, 12 November 2013 (UTC)
- I don't really know what you're asking: I don't have anything to do with the petpage for Shadaa, I don't know what Bogleech is, and I don't know what you're trying to say about Koi. There is a picture of a Fleye in the Buzz article, that is what they used to look like: that picture originally came from the Neopets servers, but where it was when I uploaded it almost three years ago I could not tell you. --Macbeth 20:49, 13 November 2013 (UTC)
But the only link I seen the Fleye is this, this and the unreleased ability with the flying angry blue fleye. Did you seen the caption with the green blumaroo and the jibjib? It's pretty unreleased and right after caption3 and also is there a Polypup in there? I love the Polypup and they are still saved in the image server. 18.104.22.168 01:45, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
OH MY GOD LOOK WHAT I FOUNDED - 22.214.171.124 02:05, 14 November 2013 (UTC)
Why do they have a Stone Fuzio? It's supposed to be unreleased!
They have a Stone Fuzio in Neopets but it's deleted (all renamed pets supposed to be that but forgot about the photos of badeek and polypup) and no Island Kyrii! And give me a hint - Does it really came from the image server? 126.96.36.199 01:25, 20 November 2013 (UTC)
Someone named User:188.8.131.52
That user was working on it! Can I do that too?
I had this images and it looks like this.
Page "Kell" cannot be created
I'm sorry to hound you with so many issues, but never had I had so many problems with a single wiki after ten+ years of editing and managing. From Templates that don't update, to images randomly deciding not to upload, now this is worse. I tried to submit my edits for the page Kell, at which I was met with an endless loading screen, and I tab that no longer operates. So what does the database do? Create Kell with no text, history, or preferences, always throwing an error of "Edit Conflict" if one tries to edit it, and a lengthy error if one tries to move it. Not sure what to do, I would love to have this article up and ready soon. --Puma 07:03, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- This has gotten out of hand. Last night, when attempting to post the above comment on your talk page, I received a similar issue as I had with Kell, never loading and never appearing. After nearly 20 minutes, after the entire site experienced heavy lag, both the above comment and the Kell page had finally appeared. Afterwards I attempted to post this very message, but I once again experienced lag and therefore was unable to post it. Not only has image uploading stopped operating again, but now the recent changes page throws some wacky error about database errors & whatnot. From the Wiki, to the main PinkPT site, issues including unexpected downtime, glitches, "database errors" and such are not un common. I understand that the Neodex took a forced hiatus last this, but the consistent errors I've encountered here since I've first appeared have been a cause for concern. Somewhat related, I also question the content posted on the main PinkPT blog, containing information outdated much like the Wiki itself, both seem to skim current events and nothing more, often appearing to be set back as early as 2006. I love Neopets, and I think such a in-depth documentation of everything within would be awesome. It's in my best interest that something is done. I'm not saying that work isn't done, or people don't try, because they do. From the perspective of a non-staff member, it seems like the PinkPT blog is automated and posts user submitted guides from 8+ years ago, and the Wiki seems to have been dropped as far as certain things are concerned (Recent events, Characters), only receiving occasional updates from the mostly absent staff about things like the Neopies and Pet colours. I understand you're not in charge over all, but I'm not sure who else to talk to, most everyone else seems gone. I'd love to see this place go back to the way it was before, people active on the forums, relevant news, guides, and articles. All I ask is that you pass these words on to whoever makes the decisions, and understand that it was not in an offensive manner, just the perspective of an average user. --Puma 18:56, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- Now I can't even log in: - Login error
- "There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again." This is a nightmare of a wiki. After further research, it also seems your main admin went AWOL. Why did this have to occur when I joined? Please tell me there's someone around who can fix this, everything's basically in ruins at this point. Your Mediawiki version really needs to be updated, and you could use a new host while you're at it. --184.108.40.206 21:05, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
Hi Macbeth. I sent you an email this evening, (I got it from Jacob) not sure if it is yours or still an active email for you so I'm poking you here about it as well. If you don't receive the email, let me know with your new email and I will resend it. Thanks --Blue 07:16, 3 February 2014 (UTC)
Where did you got the old Fleye image? What is the image called? I checked /pets/happy/fleye_red_baby.gif it did not work!
I found the old flight picture - flight.gif, and this picture - yellowfleye.gif but not this picture.
HINT PLEASE! 220.127.116.11 00:25, 17 February 2014 (UTC)
The Flotsam really needs captions. The first one was like in 2001, and has a Quiggle fishing around to meet a Flotsam. I also know that the Underwater Chief is a old Blue Flotsam. (It's the colour of the Faerie Flotsam) 18.104.22.168 04:02, 19 February 2014 (UTC)
Also here's the picture I forgot. 22.214.171.124 04:05, 19 February 2014 (UTC)
LIKE A BOSS