|This page is under construction|
Review of current article, discussion if an example list should be present in the article (remove/keep)
Avatars are graphic icons (sized 50 by 50 pixels) which are displayed next to a user's username when you send a NeoMail or post a message in the NeoBoards. You can change your avatar by going to the NeoBoards and clicking Chat Preferences.
There are 56 default avatars which are provided to players automatically, depicting every Neopet and common Faerie, but there are currently over 300 secret avatars which can be unlocked. To find these, users must perform tasks such as getting a high score at a flash game (Score 10,000+ points in Snow Wars II), visiting a particular page (View the Grey Faerie's Neopedia article), or equipping their pet with a certain Battledome Equipment (own a Grarrl and equip it with Bony Grarrl Club). These are just a few ways to acquire them.
When certain items are needed for an avatar, it can boost the item's price considerably. Such an example is use of the Nerkmid, making them almost unbuyable due to the large price. When items used to get avatars can be reused (i.e. don't disappear), users can lend them out (for collateral or for free) so others can obtain the avatar without having to buy the item themselves. Some users do this with Neopets, as certain types of Neopets yield different avatars (different colours, the age of the Neopet or Petpet which is attached to it, etc.). Neopet lending is risky, as transferring a Neopet through the Neopian Pound does not guarantee it will reach the correct destination owner (though it is now much safer) and be returned to the original owner.
Avatar collecting is also a contest to some users, and a high score list exists, giving an avatar itself for having the very top positions.
|Avatar||How To Receive|
|Snowmuncher||Get a score of 5000 more in the game Snowmuncher.|
|Kiosk Wocky||Win at the kiosk.|
|Capara||Beat Capara in the first level of Cheat!. A Random Event.|
|Illusen||Get up to Level 20 in Illusen's Quest.|
|Jhudora||Get up to Level 20 in Jhudora's Cloud.|
|Baby Pteri - Cracked||View any Baby Pteri's pet-lookup.|
|Angelpuss - Angel||Look at the item description of an Angelpuss.|
|Chokato||Buy a Chokato (TCG) and refresh your Inventory. A random event.|
|Sloth!||Gained through a random event.|
|Nightsteed||View the pet lookup of a Halloween Uni between the hours of 8pm and 6am NST.|
|I'm Smelly||Have 10 different Dung items in your Inventory and refresh. A Random Event.|
|Chocolate||Buy a rarity 90+ item from the Chocolate Factory.|
|Edna - Cackle!||Complete one of Edna's Quests. A Random Event.|
|Bilge Dice||(Random event) Score a perfect 24 in Bilge Dice.|
|Sssidney||Win any prize on a Spooky Scratchcard.|
|NeoQuest - Wise and Powerful||Give the Clouded Gem to Erick the Cybunny in Neoquest.|
|Babaa - Maths Nightmare||Place in the top 50 for Maths Nightmare.|
- There is a Book called Avatar Collector Guide which is said to give tips to getting all the elusive avatars, but it does in no way help a user attain any.
- While avatars only exist for the user to see and not in Neopia, a reference to the way avatars are gained was shown in a Jetsam Fun Image released on October 16, 2007. In it, a Pink Jetsam eats an Aquatic Petpet, and the Jetsam Chomp! avatar pops out of its mouth. Avatars and how to get them can also be featured in fictional stories in the Neopian Times.
- NeoBoard Avatar Collector - Hi-Score Table
- Chat Preferences
- Petpages: NeoBoard Avatar List
- Help File: Avatars FAQ
- Neopets FAQ: Neomail & Neofriends - Changing my avatar, Neomail & Neofriends - How do I change my chat avatar?, Weekly Contests - I got the Lenny Conundrum puzzle correct, I even received Neopoints from it, but where is my trophy and avatar?, Advent Calendar - Your 'need-to-knows' regarding the Advent Calendar!
- Editorial: 106, 107, 115, 116, 119, 127, 128, 129, 131, 133, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 163, 166, 167, 168
- Selected Fansites: PinkPT Avatar Catalog, AvatarLog, SunnyNeo