Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:09 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Here goes.
There are some irritating popups that keep coming up on my computer. I have used Ad-aware to scan my registry and Spybot to try and get rid of those ads but they don't work. How can I get rid of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:38 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

quicksilvery1pore wrote:
Here goes.
There are some irritating popups that keep coming up on my computer. I have used Ad-aware to scan my registry and Spybot to try and get rid of those ads but they don't work. How can I get rid of them?

I'm surprised that Spybot and Adaware didn't find anything. Have you updated your reference files for both of them? You should always update them reguarlly.

The other thing you can do is download a popup blocker - many people use the Google one, I do too and I've had no problems with it so far. It's stopped over 3000 popups and still going strong ^^

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

This might not actually work, but I think that for me it has. If you are using internet explorer and randomly get popups, right click on the popup, click properties and look at the URL. Take the first bit of the URL like "http://xads.com" and then go to "Tool --> Internet options --> Security, click restricted sites, then click on the "sites" button underneath it, and then paste the evil url into the box there.

This might not work, but i *think* that if a popup from one of those sites tries to open up, IE just closes it down again. I dunno if it'll work or not.

Do you have the full version of adaware? I found that that works a LOT better than the trial version.

Not that im suggesting downloading it off kazaa lite and then finding a CD-key generator, but I am, so do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: BrokenSea Audio Drama Productions. Thanks Bangel for the set!
Ok, where are my temp internet files? I'm looking for something and can't find them...

PPT'S OFFICAL VOICE ACTRESS! (click image for link)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:39 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

If you are using XP: C:\Documents and Settings\"Username"\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

"Username" is the name you use to log in to Windows.

Other Windows operating systems: C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tools > Internet Options... > Temporary Internet Files > Settings... > Current Location

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:45 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

quicksilvery1pore, you're using IE, aren't you? IE seems to be the worst browser when it comes to pop-ups. The only advice I can offer that hasn't already been given...is switch your web browser! Opera is great! You never get pop-ups when you use Opera...the one irritating thing is that most sites aren't very compatible with Opera. Good luck with getting rid of those evil pop-ups. o_O

Read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.
Watch Love Actually.
Listen to 80s and 90s streaming audio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:12 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Pop-ups don't have to come from the browser. Spyware and Adware installed on the system can spawn pop-ups whenever it likes or on a timer.

What operating system are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:40 pm 

If you want to get to your temp folder, the easiest method is to open IE and type in the address bar: %temp%. That is the shortcut t othe temp forder, and works in all versions of windows, as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:23 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Soujiro wrote:
Pop-ups don't have to come from the browser. Spyware and Adware installed on the system can spawn pop-ups whenever it likes or on a timer.

Eh. Ok. Sorry.

Read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.
Watch Love Actually.
Listen to 80s and 90s streaming audio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:50 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Soujiro wrote:

What operating system are you running?

I am using Windows XP. DO you think I should re-format the drive(s)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You shouldn't need to reformat just because you have popups.

Potential solutions:

Download a program like SpyHunter (I want to say PestPatrol too, but not positive about how it displays results) that shows locations of spyware. Delete them manually.

Install SpywareBlaster --

Quote:
---Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
---Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
---Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I've been using SpywareBlaster for quite a while now, and I'd like to say I haven't gotten any "bad" popups ever since installing it.

---------------

Not positive, but my bro's computer (XP) sometimes gets random popups as well. I don't think it's just an XP problem though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:58 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

[quote="Alex"] Have you updated your reference files for both of them? You should always update them reguarlly.

quote]

What are reference files, and how does one update them?

I don't get many popups. (XP, IE). I have my cookies set to ask me before setting them, and I use the method suggested above of right-clicking, going to privacy, and placing the url on the do not accept list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:30 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The main random pop-up comes from a security hole using the Messenger service and the UPnP service. Go to your Services under your Administrative tools, and disable the Messenger and Universal PnP service. Doing so will close the common security holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:06 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

the thing about getting firefox (BTW it is a great browser :)) is that some spyware won't create pop-ups. Thats why he/she needs to get the spyware off the system.

Now for my question.

I have (or had :)) windows 98. Lately it has been crapping out ( i.e. GDI.dll is corrupt). One morning i tried to turn on the comp and when it would normally start loading up the graphics portion (After the BIOS), the computer stopped then shut off. I can boot into DOS because thats not graphical (i'm guessing GDI stands for Graphic DIsplay). What i want is a way to replace GDI.dll or in the worse case scenerio I would like to know if there are programs in which i can burn data onto a CD while running in DOS.

Since these are no longer temporary forums, I will update my signature.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next