Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to password protect folders in XP or Vista
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm getting my laptop for college soon, and I wanted to know if any of you knew how to lock folders with XP or Vista. I'll be locking folder that will lead to things I don't want a noise roommate to stumble upon, such as Neopets related things =P

Thanks.

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

Post subject: Re: How to password protect folders in XP or Vista
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Well, you can have separate users in XP, with each having to log in, and set certain folders (such as under "My Documents" or "My Desktop") so that you can only see them when you're logged in. Be careful with a laptop in the dorms... I know a few people who had theirs stolen by them or a roommate being lax with security.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Siniri wrote:
Well, you can have separate users in XP, with each having to log in, and set certain folders (such as under "My Documents" or "My Desktop") so that you can only see them when you're logged in. Be careful with a laptop in the dorms... I know a few people who had theirs stolen by them or a roommate being lax with security.

I don't plan on letting it out of my sight. Thank you =D

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:45 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Aww when I came on here I was hoping to see a way to password protect a folder

Oh well I hope your problem gets sorted soon

Edit: I looked on google and as always a couple of video results came up and I found this one tried it and it worked so Here you go and I hope this solve's your problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtsSabEkACk

Edit: I just remembered I think you should create a copy incase anything goes wrong whilst creating it then when done delete that.

set by Byakuya San.....Thanks your awesome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Ginny, that more or less locks the documents, I want something that won't let you access the folder...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:13 am 

If you don't mind installing some software, My Lockbox comes pretty close to what you're trying to achieve. It allows you to create a locked and hidden folder on your computer, which can easily be unlocked and locked with a password. If you want to protect a lot of folders, you'll have to place the other folders inside your locked one. Other than that one disadvantage, it's an excellent program. It's also 100% free! No trials or limitations.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Siouxper wrote:
If you don't mind installing some software, My Lockbox comes pretty close to what you're trying to achieve. It allows you to create a locked and hidden folder on your computer, which can easily be unlocked and locked with a password. If you want to protect a lot of folders, you'll have to place the other folders inside your locked one. Other than that one disadvantage, it's an excellent program. It's also 100% free! No trials or limitations.

I figured I'd have to download something. This seems like EXACTLY what I was looking for.

You know, just in case I'm hanging out with friends and they're looking through my computer for some reason haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
Siouxper wrote:

I love this program and was just going to suggest this one actually. :)

There's also a mac equivalent by a different company that I use on my mac as well.

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
Siniri has a very good point: Think about physical security, too. Unless you plan on never sleeping, it will be out of your sight now and again. If you do have a roomie with lax securiy ideas, you might wake to a missing laptop...

I would recommend a Kensington Cable to secure your laptop:
You can take it anywhere and secure your laptop easily using the little Kensington Security Slot that 99.5% of laptops have.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
That cable is really good. I used it for ages and it's worked really well. Just don't do what a co-worker did and tie the cable to the end of a chair leg...

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Shoyru_Lover wrote:
That cable is really good. I used it for ages and it's worked really well. Just don't do what a co-worker did and tie the cable to the end of a chair leg...

haha that's so funny!

I think I might look into getting it. My dad just told me that I'm going to have renter's insurance and it'll cover items getting stolen at college or something like that.

I'll also be showering, but after seeing the showers this weekend I might just bulk up on wet-wipes. ick. The showers had two temperatures, extremely hot or ice cold and even though they had just been cleaned for the year it looked very gross :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

unspecialfish wrote:
I think I might look into getting it. My dad just told me that I'm going to have renter's insurance and it'll cover items getting stolen at college or something like that.

I'll also be showering, but after seeing the showers this weekend I might just bulk up on wet-wipes. ick. The showers had two temperatures, extremely hot or ice cold and even though they had just been cleaned for the year it looked very gross :(

One word. Flipflops.

I'd suggest getting in the habit of backing up all your files as you go -- once on a flashdrive and once on-line (e-mail or school document storage). My hard-drive failed last year, and renter's insurance and computer warranties can't rewrite that 15-page paper for you, especially the night before it's due.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:59 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Siniri wrote:
once on a flashdrive and once on-line (e-mail or school document storage)

Great suggestion! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Favorite Cheese: Mozzerella String Cheese
Siniri wrote:
One word. Flipflops.

I'd suggest getting in the habit of backing up all your files as you go -- once on a flashdrive and once on-line (e-mail or school document storage). My hard-drive failed last year, and renter's insurance and computer warranties can't rewrite that 15-page paper for you, especially the night before it's due.

Great word: Flipflops. Absolutely essential for dorm showers. Be sure to find some that don't slip on wet tile surfaces...

As far as the backups go, external USB hard drives are getting really cheap now. I'd suggest keeping one on the desk in your room. At night or whenever you're working have it plugged in and have an backup program running to automatically do weekly full backups overnight and nightly (or even real-time) incremental backups. If your drive dies, you'll be protected and lose no more than a day's worth of information. Most of the backup software out there will let you do a complete clone of the drive on a weekly basis, which will have you back up and running after a crash very quickly.

Really critical files, like that 15 page term paper, should be saved frequently to both the hard drive as well as a flash drive. The flash drive goes with you wherever you go. There's probably even some waterproof ones that you can take into the shower :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

May I add you should never rely just on a flashdrive. I've seen several theses go poof -- they break often enough that they should never be your primary document storage system.

Also, to avoid the crisis of "I left my flashdrive in some random computer on campus," put an address label on it with your name, phone number, and e-mail address, so someone can find you to return it to you. Otherwise they all look alike.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next