Anything and everything goes in here... within reason.
Topic locked

Get yourself cool!

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 pm

I thought this thread would be good during the late summer months as July and August are usually the hottest months (in the UK at least). And so far July is living up to that! It's really hot and not too far off from 100 degrees f and if you don't cool yourself down, that heat could be a killer. Seriously. Anyway, post any methods of cooling yourself down on this thread.

1. If you've got some wheat-bags, put them in the freezer for a couple of hours. Then put them around your neck. (A wheat-bag is a small pillow type thing stuffed with wheat that you can use to ease pain. Can't remember where my mom got them from but I expect you'd get them from pharmacies and the like).

2. Drink plenty of fluids and if possible, put ice in your drinks.

3. Have a cool (not cold) shower.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:00 pm

I always have cold showers and then towards the end I actually put on a pair of bathers and make sure I get them wet before getting out and then I leave them on under my clothes. Then, if its still warm, sitting in front of a fan is always useful although it can get too cold.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:06 pm

Stay out of the sun. You might aswell vegetate in your room with a mini fridge and a microwave while your window is blocked up with tinfoil.

But I'm being serious. 11-3 is the time you should spend indoors while the sun is at the highest point in the sky. Play a video game or take a nap. Or something. Always wear a hat, blah blah, wear sunblock.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:22 pm

One I learned from a teacher, run your wrists under ice cold water, helps to cool you off.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:24 pm

Paul wrote:Stay out of the sun. You might aswell vegetate in your room with a mini fridge and a microwave while your window is blocked up with tinfoil.

:lol:
I find that funny 'cause we did that last year. o_o

When we were moving, I found sticking my face in front of the air conditioner vent worked well. XD

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:59 pm

BeDeviled wrote:One I learned from a teacher, run your wrists under ice cold water, helps to cool you off.

Your neck is also a good place to do something like that for the same reason: the large amount of blood vessels. It's harder to run your neck under cold water though. :P Just use a frozen, wet towel if you want that area to be cool.

If there's anything you have to do in the day, do it during dawn and dusk. The sun's not nearly as high then.

Oh, drink water. Not fluids in general; stuff like soda, coffee, and alcohol could make your life worse due to their sugars and drugs (yes, caffinee is a drug). Just water, and lots of it. That stuff helped me survive 90 degree weather during band camp last year, but I had to drink two bottles worth of it.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:24 pm

DiscordantNote wrote:Oh, drink water. Not fluids in general; stuff like soda, coffee, and alcohol could make your life worse due to their sugars and drugs.

Yes, but mostly because coffee acts as a laxative, and whatever water is gained from drinking is usually lost to stimulated bowel movements. Same with coca cola and alcohol.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Here it's like...illegal for schools and daycares to let kids go outside between 10 and 4.

Our average temp this month? 105. It's been 110 for the last week.

x_x

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:33 am

BeDeviled wrote:One I learned from a teacher, run your wrists under ice cold water, helps to cool you off.

That also helps to de-frizz your hair. :D

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:38 am

Sugarinii wrote:

What the hell? This is to help keep you cool. Not beauty tips. :roll:

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:50 am

Paul wrote:
Sugarinii wrote:

but you need to look pretty in the heat, like you're not baking in your skin :P

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:04 am

Paul wrote:
Sugarinii wrote:

Being sexy is cool. 8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:00 am

Sugarinii wrote:Being sexy is cool. 8)

No, no.. Being sexy is hot.

BeDeviled wrote:but you need to look pretty in the heat, like you're not baking in your skin :P

I suppose. But that is what happens anyway.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:51 am

Paul wrote:
BeDeviled wrote:but you need to look pretty in the heat, like you're not baking in your skin :P

I suppose. But that is what happens anyway.

No, only to you because you don't pay attention to my beauty tips.

8)

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:11 am

Don't wear a rubber lined rabbit costume in 36 degree heat on Carnaby Street.
Topic locked