This board is for anything to do with the Pink Poogle Toy Forum. If you have a question or want to suggest any ideas, then this is the place to do it.
Topic locked

Re: Forum Upgrade Issues

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 pm

I love the new mascot at the top. ARRRRRR.

It makes me think fondly of organic chemistry (you know, in the way that cellmates in a torture camp might commiserate), because our professor always said "ARR" when she was talking about R-groups (which you say a lot in organic chemistry). It was apparently just her accent, because she got upset when the class would ARRRRRRRRR back at her. Oh, college.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm

ROFL. That mascot is a blast from the past. I'm calling it "Tribute to Twinkle"

I did not particularly care for chemistry in college... Arrrrrrrr, indeed.

Why can I not remember what the "LeoGr" acronym was supposed to mean? Oh yeah... I don't care :P

Sat May 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Yesterday when I tried to edit a post, it gave me a giant 404 instead. I used the back button and tried again and it worked, so I don't know if that was just a hiccup while you were upgrading other things, but I thought I'd mention it.

Sat May 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Siniri wrote:Yesterday when I tried to edit a post, it gave me a giant 404 instead. I used the back button and tried again and it worked, so I don't know if that was just a hiccup while you were upgrading other things, but I thought I'd mention it.

Hopefully it was just a hiccup while I was upgrading the Arcade, which has been... challenging :x
During certain steps of the upgrades, the board is quasi-disabled. I have found ways to minimize the downtime, but it can not be completely eliminated.

As you found, hitting back button and re-submitting should work OK.

On the other hand, I have found several areas where the forum upgrade from 3.0.7 to 3.0.11 really messed a few things up, so I know there are a few lingering bugs here and there.

If possible, whenever you get the 404 or 500 or any other other errors, please let me know what you were doing just before it happened. It will give me a starting point when I dig deeper for these bugs.

Thanks!

Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Specifically, I was editing my post in the Minicity thread because I wasn't sure I recorded things accurately, and then when I went back to the Minicity, someone else had done some magic and fixed more things in it. When I clicked "submit" to confirm my edit, I got the giant 404. It was red, reminded me of the Neopets one. It was past my bedtime, so I didn't take a screenie.

I noticed the DFM earlier yesterday -- it was appreciated. You're doing an awesome job trying to fix everything.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Siniri wrote:Specifically, I was editing my post in the Minicity thread because I wasn't sure I recorded things accurately, and then when I went back to the Minicity, someone else had done some magic and fixed more things in it. When I clicked "submit" to confirm my edit, I got the giant 404. It was red, reminded me of the Neopets one. It was past my bedtime, so I didn't take a screenie.

I noticed the DFM earlier yesterday -- it was appreciated. You're doing an awesome job trying to fix everything.

Thanks. No need for a screenie of the 404 page. It looks like this:

404 Whoa...you broke the Internet!

Except that the font is MUCH larger :P

Knowing that you got the error message when editing an existing post (last one in the thread?) is the useful info. Gives me a place to start looking. For the most part, each little function on the site has a different section and/or file that handles the function, or a different section within the file. If it's a one-off error, then it will be hard to track down and squash. However, if something happens repeatedly (i.e. if I can easily replicate it), then it will be easier to fix.

Thanks very much :)

Sat May 04, 2013 8:33 pm

I did say that I was editing a post in my first post about the error. :P And yes, it was the last one in the thread, just seconds after I'd posted it. (P.S. You stretched the screen. Aren't you supposed to put large pics inside a spoiler? :P)

P.P.S. I loved the 404 message; it cracked me up, especially the larger-than-life font. I didn't want to spoil it for anyone else.

Sat May 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Siniri wrote:I did say that I was editing a post in my first post about the error. :P And yes, it was the last one in the thread, just seconds after I'd posted it. (P.S. You stretched the screen. Aren't you supposed to put large pics inside a spoiler? :P)

P.P.S. I loved the 404 message; it cracked me up, especially the larger-than-life font. I didn't want to spoil it for anyone else.
aww. Color me embarrassed. You are correct. One of the rules is to not stretch the forum....
I'll fix that now...
Thanks

Dang. Looks like I need to fix the forum's img tag, too :(

Sent from my Fireball using Xparent Blue Tapatalk2

Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm

See? I'm
helping
  • you
  • debug!
This is going to be:
  1. the most annoying post ever
  2. with lots of bugs
  3. especially since I never got ordered lists to work before the forums broke.
  4. but I did now. Booyah!

Code:
[b]See[/b][i]?[/i] [u]I'm[/u] [quote]helping[/quote] [list][*]you [*]debug![/list]  This is going to be:[list=numerical][*][size=50]the [/size][size=200]most [/size][size=150]annoying [/size][size=85]post [/size][s]ever[/s][*][color=#008000]with [/color][color=#4000FF]lots [/color][color=#BF0000]of [/color][color=#FF00BF]bugs [/color][*][color=#40BFBF]especially [/color][color=#FF8000]since [/color]I never got ordered lists to work before the forums broke.[*]but I did now. Booyah![/list][spoiler][img]http://pinkpt.com/forum/styles/subsilver2/imageset/logo_phpBB-Twinkle_updated.gif[/img] [url=http://pinkpt.com/forum/styles/subsilver2/imageset/logo_phpBB-Twinkle_updated.gif]Here's the current PPT logo.[/url][/spoiler]

:D :) :( :o 8) :lol: :x :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: ;) o_O :hug: :battar: <3 :P :> 0:) ~:> :roflol: :talktohand: :zzz: :loser: :thinking: :peace:

It all seems to be in working order!

Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Siniri wrote:See? I'm
helping
  • you
  • debug!
This is going to be:
  1. the most annoying post ever
  2. with lots of bugs
  3. especially since I never got ordered lists to work before the forums broke.
  4. but I did now. Booyah!

Code:
[b]See[/b][i]?[/i] [u]I'm[/u] [quote]helping[/quote] [list][*]you [*]debug![/list]  This is going to be:[list=numerical][*][size=50]the [/size][size=200]most [/size][size=150]annoying [/size][size=85]post [/size][s]ever[/s][*][color=#008000]with [/color][color=#4000FF]lots [/color][color=#BF0000]of [/color][color=#FF00BF]bugs [/color][*][color=#40BFBF]especially [/color][color=#FF8000]since [/color]I never got ordered lists to work before the forums broke.[*]but I did now. Booyah![/list][spoiler][img]http://pinkpt.com/forum/styles/subsilver2/imageset/logo_phpBB-Twinkle_updated.gif[/img] [url=http://pinkpt.com/forum/styles/subsilver2/imageset/logo_phpBB-Twinkle_updated.gif]Here's the current PPT logo.[/url][/spoiler]

:D :) :( :o 8) :lol: :x :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: ;) o_O :hug: :battar: <3 :P :> 0:) ~:> :roflol: :talktohand: :zzz: :loser: :thinking: :peace:

It all seems to be in working order!

That is a beautiful post. Glad it's all working!

Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 pm

I got a "Firefox can't connect" page this morning, and all other websites were working fine for me. So there still seem to be some server issues. It was only down for ~5-10 min. that I noticed (of course I only caught the end, not the beginning).

Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks. I have seen a few 500 Internal Server Errors myself today.

I cleared the cache to see if that helps.

It would be nice to get my hands on the server error logs. I suspect there is one or two php files on the server causing the issues. But, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I will be wrong again. It's part of life, and I have come to accept that :)
Topic locked