Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Return of Dr. Sloth [Split 11]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

They haven't said 'The End' yet, either. Or 'The End?'. (Dumb Lost Island plot...)

General consensus is right, though; we haven't seen the 'final fight' between Ylana and the Unnamed Scout, at the very least (of course, I interested in the fates of Sloth's various commanders, including Garoo -- who will probably spring out of a closet on the Space Station and announce himself the next BD opponent) and the kougra whose name I can't recall.

But at the least, we haven't had an uber-boss yet. That should be enough to say this isn't over (other than no 'ending' and all that).

My Dinomon needs your help!
Click here to feed him the flesh of the living!
Get your own at Dinomon!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 am 
PPT God
PPT God

ChaosShadow wrote:
They haven't said 'The End' yet, either.

They've said it now. New comic up. o_O

Self-referential signatures make the angels cry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:24 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

You can't be serious.

I was late coming to the plot, and I was just doing my last 3mod, when suddenly.... a load of weird codestone symbols appeared in place of my mods, and when I refreshed, 404..... comic up, battledome challengers down.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. *pick up desk, apply to head*

Neopets Premium invites - PM or neomail me! (Please?) :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:28 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Click on the last frame of the comic and there is an epilogue. It's amusing at least :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:36 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Wow. Just.... wow. Seriously. The ending seemed forced, the whole plot from the start of March felt rushed, and nothing was learned, gained, or advanced from this plot. So, Sloth is still alive somewhere, ready to eventually resurface. Gasp. We had no 'boss battle', we didn't learn anything about any of the main characters, and the whole plot consisted of two places on Kreludor and the Space Station with about ten challengers thrown in. Now, I'm not saying that the individual componants weren't great, because they were. The comics were the total height of awesomeness. But TNT can do so much better than that. Who was Ylana? Why was Werther a character in one of the comics? How does it tie in with the JLI plot? Why do purple pets have orange spots, and vice versa? What was in the Mining corp? They posed all those questions, and they were really doing great, and it just seemed like the Daily Dare rolled around, and they suddenly realized they had too much on their plate, so they decided to slap some cutesy ending together and call it done. Once again, I'm not saying that I'm not grateful for what they gave us, because I loved each part, (even the mods) and I'm not saying each part wasn't great. I'm just saying, I know TNT is capable of so much better in their plots, and it's so disappointing to have such promise shut down once again.

/endrant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Initial reaction: Ugh.
I cannot think of much more than that at the moment.

{brain wakes up}
They did open a huge can of worms, but honestly, I don't think they copped out because of Daily Dare. Remember that they planned the whole plot out ahead of time, had all the comics ready, steps, etc. From everything they've ever told us, they plan EVERYTHING out before it's released. Still, the comics were entertaining.
I think it's more likely that they used the original plot from 4 years ago, which was during a time prior to the involvement of LDP, etc, and didn't end up fleshing it out as much. It's also possible that parts that they had planned back then were lost in the mess. Still, I can see them having left it open for a sequel of some sort in the future.

While I am disappointed in the ending - they could have done so much more with it - I did enjoy the plot while it lasted. I did more battling than I have in a while, and really enjoyed the complexity of the puzzles and teamwork. It ended up not ousting LDP from it's place as my favorite plot ever, but it's pretty close up there.

I'll probably have more comments later. For now, I guess we should start a plot prize timer. :P

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:14 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

On reflection, I can't say that I really mind the short plot. Extremely long, drawn-out plots can be fun, but they start to wear on me after a while. Granted, this one didn't really resolve much, but it was reasonably entertaining, and the ending didn't feel as rushed to me as some people are making it out to be. Once the final battle is joined, things should logically proceed to the climax quickly.

If I might draw some parallels to illustrate my view of the pacing:

Sloth-Sneaking around on the Virtupets station, hacking codes, and fighting troops : EpIV-Sneaking around on the Death Star, hacking garbage smashers and cell doors, and fighting stormtroopers
Sloth-Flight to Kreludor : EpIV-Flight to Yavin
Sloth-Searching for the real talisman : EpIV-Analyzing R2D2's data
Sloth-Confronting Sloth and sucking him into the token : EpIV-The trench run and ensuing boom.
Sloth-Resistance celebration, Cylara receives Resistance items : EpIV-Rebel celebration, medals awarded
Sloth-Floating token, epilogue : Vader spinning off into space

How long would you expect Star Wars to drag on after Luke starts his run of the trench?

amarise wrote:
So, Sloth is still alive somewhere, ready to eventually resurface.

Well, he's presumably imprisoned within the token, but yes, I'm sure he'll be back.
Quote:
Who was Ylana?

A mercenary, specializing in counterintelligence. When the job went south, she split. Sometimes a merc is just a merc.
Quote:
Why was Werther a character in one of the comics? How does it tie in with the JLI plot?

Werther was introduced to establish the link to the Lost Isle. The Lost Isle was one of Sloth's research stations, where he tested his new ray on petpetpets, producing monsters. Hence the high-tech "tower" on the island. I would guess that the petpetpets went all Creature on him and wrecked the station.
Quote:
Why do purple pets have orange spots, and vice versa?

Beats me. Maybe TNT hate purple and orange, and want to make them hideous? ;)
Quote:
What was in the Mining corp?

Kreludite, useful for everything from making toys to conquering planets. It's all Kreludite these days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:22 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

forcesinbalance, that was a very awesome comparison. :hug:

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:27 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Click on the last panel in Chapter 14 to get to Chapter 15 - Epilogue.

From the News:
Quote:
Something has happened and purple Neopets all over Neopia seem to be gradually losing their orange spots!

I am slightly disappointed in how the plot was ran. The storyline seemed to be out of sync to the steps. The steps and battle opponents were 'fillers' to last through the story.

I know TNT try new ideas when doing plots, but this plot didn't seem to have been though through enough.

It seems that because we already knew the characters (due to the information from the unreleased plot) that TNT decided not to rehash the old characters and give us any new information.

We had a wealth of interesting ideas - Lost Ilse and mutated petpets, Kreludor mining, Space Faerie Charm but each where only skimmed over (and once again it was previous knowledge that made it work) and interesting characters - Cylara, Scout, Ylana, Gormos, Parlax, The Resistance Leader but none were really 'fleshed out'. Then we had Dr Sloth whom the plot was named after and he had a supporting 'funny guy' role to the whole plot.

The plot steps were interesting and enjoyable (maybe not so much the 3mods) and the Token Testing facility was excellent (didn't go long enough) but with only 3 puzzle steps for the whole plot it was lacking a little.

The battledome challengers were good but where was the boss? We got a Grundo Bot which was thrown in during a battle but it didn't feel like the ultimate challenge.

Overall, I liked the plot but feel disappointed that it wasn't better organised.

Last edited by Daze on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:30 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Yay, no orange spots. Well, is anyone else glad? I don't even have a purple pet, but those spots were yuck..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wow, totally missed that bit in the news! But I'm VERY glad about it! I had considered a purple pet, but rejected it because of the nasty spots. It made them look...diseased or something.

Does anyone else think it's amusing that they just posted this article now the plot is over?

Set by KiTeNcHeTu!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:47 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'm still cheesed off, but it was my own fault this time. ~:> Or rather, it came along at a bad time for me (work deadlines). S'long as I get a trophy, I can't complain. Actually I enjoyed the comic on this plot! So many sci-fi homages, especially Star Wars - I grinned like a geek at each one. And who else hovered over the last frame of Chapter 14 long enough to see that 'I'll be back' moment? ;)

For all you conspiracy theorists, here's what happened to my decryption screen when the plot was taken down. There are Har and Bri symbols in there, as well as a teeny Neopet V2...... :thinking:

PS. Hail Pickles! :D

Neopets Premium invites - PM or neomail me! (Please?) :D

Last edited by afyapardess on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:07 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I wonder if there's going to be a part 2 to this somewhere down the line. It feels so rushed and neat. And they left the token where one of his loyal minions or a Sloth clone could get to it.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:10 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Moongewl wrote:
I wonder if there's going to be a part 2 to this somewhere down the line. It feels so rushed and neat. And they left the token where one of his loyal minions or a Sloth clone could get to it.

Same here. Sloth will one day return. It's going to happen, we just don't know when.

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:24 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

i'll give them this the 'secret' comic was a bit funny.

HOWEVER I can see this plot continuing....... because WHY exactly are the orange spots disappearing? There was never anything with purple pets delt with in this plot!! Does it say 'the end' Yes have we had 'just kidding!' 's before Yes. I think this PART of it seems over as in maybe we will no longer see the main characters play the role they did but common now what was wrapped up in that? Umm nothing. So sloth is in a stone... Yea i cant see that lasting long I mean common its sloth. And i think all we seen of him was 'the happiness faerie' I mean common sloth is spose to be the 'big bad guy' and we barely seen him. And there are more questions then answers to ANYTHING that was shown to us. I mean you can come up with a small answer but nothing is tied up. I think (and hope) this plot is going to continue maybe not right away but I think there is every reason FOR it to continue.

Again i have to press on the point of why are the orange spots disappearing!?

(and am i the only one who actually liked the orange spots?)

ImageImageImageImage
Click the eggs above to view all my dragons & help them grow by clicking them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next