Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Return of Dr Sloth [Split 7]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Previous Thread

ATTENTION

!! Please make sure all your posts are coherent, and that you have spelled all words to the best of your ability. Also, please try to use correct grammar.

PLEASE keep all posts on topic. If you would like to speak to someone personally or off-topic, PM them.

=====COMICS=====
Chapter 1 (29th Jan)
Chapter 2 (1st Feb)
Chapter 3 (5th Feb)
Chapter 4 (8th feb)

=====Helpful Links=====
Wondering about whether you’re ready to battle, if it comes to that? Check out the Weapon Advice & Recommendations thread!

If you're new to PPT forums, and are just joining for our comprehensive & helpful plot assistance, please remember to read The Rules!

=====PLOT ASSISTANCE=====

Step One - Maintenance Tunnels (30th Jan)
The plot begins! The Maintenance Tunnels appeared under the space station map. At the Maintenance Tunnels, if you click on the left hand tunnel, you get directed to this Game in which you must orientate the bubble/arrow things to get Gorix through the maze.

Using the arrows, you have to change the direction he will go when he reaches particular turns, and then press go. While Gorix is walking you cannot change anything. Conveniently, the direction of a particular arrow will change going clockwise each time Gorix walks across it.

Solutions
Blatantly stolen from Siouxper's post here and re-formatted by the lovely Alex.
(Note - these are not the only solutions, there are many combinations that will finish the level)

MAZE 1
Arrow points DOWN

MAZE 2
The four arrows in a straight line, point (left to right), LEFT, UP, DOWN, RIGHT.
The remaining arrow points RIGHT.

MAZE 3
Arrow by itself on the left points LEFT
Top arrows point (left to right) RIGHT, DOWN
Arrow by itself on the bottom points DOWN

MAZE 4
Arrows along the top point (left to right) UP, RIGHT, RIGHT
Two arrows in the middle row point LEFT, RIGHT
Leftmost arrow in the bottom row points UP (other two can be ignored)

MAZE 5
Top arrows point DOWN, LEFT, DOWN, LEFT
Bottom arrows point DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
*Note, for this one, let the robots close the doors themselves - you don't have to do anything except wait.

Once you have completed the mazes, go back to the Maintenance Tunnels and you'll find a new door that has opened.

Step Two - Breaking Military Grade Encryptions (5th Feb)
!!!DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING A DECODER PROGRAM OR POSTING LINKS TO ONE HERE!!!

Note: You can only participate in Step Two if you have previously completed Step One.

1. Go here
2. Press "4"
3. Press "2"
4. Cry because the next part is super tedious.

(NOTE: You may need to click the screen a few times then push the numbers. Do not use the number key pad on the right of your keyboard.)

Before you is a list of different emails.
If you open any of them, you'll see a screen with a bunch of alien letters to the right of the screen. These are your modifier codes.

On the left is a KEY - a bunch of alien letters, up to 3 empty modifier boxes, a RESULT line and a TARGET line.

The purpose of this step is to decode the emails by using the modifiers to change the KEY into the TARGET. It sounds a bit confusing, so let's start at the beginning.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU CANNOT DECODE EMAILS IF THEY SAY "INCOMPLETE DATA." IF THEY SAY THIS, LEAVE THAT EMAIL FOR LATER

If the email you have opened has more than one modifier box, click "Return to Inbox at the bottom of the page." Keep opening emails until you find an email with only one modifier box. There should be five of them.

One Mod

These are easy. You have ten codes on the right and only one box to try them in. Click and drag each modifier code in turn from the right into the modifier box. Once the RESULT is the same as the TARGET, the email will be decoded.

Once it is, back out of the email and find another email that is able to be decoded.

Two Mods

These are slightly more tricky, as the combination of two modifier codes affect your result.
For this, look at the first letter of the KEY and the first letter of the TARGET. Then go to a helpful guide like KyootestLenny's.

Find the column in the chart on the guide you are using (more at the bottom of this section) that has your first KEY letter and first TARGET letter. There are three possible combinations of modifier letters that will get you from the key to the target. For example, to get from 8 to X, you could use a modifier starting with P and a modifier starting with V, or a modifier starting with V and a modifier starting with X or two modifier starting with X.

From here, its simply a case of trying all possible combinations of the modifiers that will give you the first letter. One combination will decode the email.

Three Mods (No O symbol)

These codes have six different alien characters, and don't include the Orn Codestone Symbol.

These are starting to get very difficult. Like the two modifier codes, see a reference chart for the KEY to TARGET combinations.

I found it easiest from this point on to write down on a piece of paper, all the possible combinations to get from my KEY's first letter to my TARGET's first letter, and cross them off as I went.

Some helpful hints with these:

Immediately cross off any combinations that are impossible to do with your modifiers (EG: If you only have 2 Z's, you couldn't use the ZZZ combo to get from X to X)

Try the combinations that have as few variables as possible.
(EG: If you only have 2 Zs, try any combinations that are ZZ_ or Z _ _)

Keep a rough idea of how many modifiers start with each symbol. Whichever you have the lowest of out of the three modifiers, put at the top. Put the one you have the most of at the bottom and swap that one. Once you have tried all the bottom one, change the middle one to the next of its kind

The order of the modifiers doesn't matter - don't recheck things in different orders if you can help it, it just creates more work for you.

NOTE: The moment the next category are unlocked (usually after one completed 3 Mod, no O puzzle), ignore the rest of these.

Three Mods (With O symbol)

These codes have seven different alien characters, which includes the Orn Codestone Symbol.

These are the same as the Three Mods (No O symbol), except their are more combinations and you'll have to use a different reference chart.

One of these emails has the message you are looking for in it. As soon as you are able to decode these (IE: As soon as they no longer say INCOMPLETE DATA) you should focus all your attention on these.

Once you decode the following email, STOP and refresh the page - you're done :D

My Lord, We've begun moving the civilians to the transport shuttles as planned. The public decks are secure although we've had some trouble finding our way around the maintenance levels; there could still be traitors hiding in that maze. Nonetheless, the shuttles will be ready to launch shortly, and then we won't have to worry about the civilians anymore. -Commander Garoo

HELPFUL OTHER GUIDES

http://www.neopets.com/~_Blue___Berry_ <--- for 2 mod encryptions
http://www.neopets.com/~charmander2058 <--- for 3 mod encryptions
http://www.neopets.com/~Vulpixxx20 <--- for 3 mod encryptions with O as a possible symbol
http://www.neopets.com/~KyootestLenny <--- for 2 and both kinds of 3 mod encryptions
viewtopic.php?p=775264#p775264 <--- theonlysaneone's intelligent brute force method
http://www.neopets.com/~LadyRheyna <--- Navar57's 3 mod code guide
viewtopic.php?p=775996#p775996 <--- AySv88's fast, yet heavily maths orientated way

-------------------------------

A more math orientated guide from ELiPteK

The symbols are just integers written in an alien language. Each symbol in the "modifier" performs an operation on the corresponding symbol in the "key". If you are familiar with the modulus operator from discrete mathematics, then you can probably anticipate where I'm going with this!

The symbols have the following values:
"C shape" = 0
"V shape" = 1
"X shape" = 2
"mushroom" = 3
"figure 8" = 4
etc...

All you need to do is figure out what you need to add to the key to get the target. Anything above the highest available symbol makes you roll back to zero.

...The only other thing you need to know is that the codes with multiple modifiers may perform an automatic operation on the key. I found, for instance, that the codes with two modifiers automatically subtract 1 from the key!

Hope that helps!! (Let me know if you have any questions)

Step Three - Escaping the Guards (7th Feb)
Note: You can only participate in Step Three if you have previously completed Step Two.

Go here.

This is a game where you must avoid the guards and get to the next stage. You can move two spaces in any direction.

If the Garoo Elite Guards are facing you in an unobstructed line, they will capture you and a really annoying buzzer will go off.

You can hide behind civilians (IE: Travel so civilians are between you and the guards, obstructing their line of sight) as guards cannot see past them. Guards acan see past eachother, however.

If a guard is two spaces away from you, and they are not pointing at you, you can jump onto their space, which will remove them from the game.

There are five levels, each with increasing difficulty. In the first four, you must make your way to the door on the top of the screen. In the fifth, you must reach the family in the top left corner.

Some things to note:

- The game screen is taller than most computer screens, so watch out for guards down the bottom as you might walk into their path without realising it.

- It doesn't matter if a guard can see you in your final landing space, I jumped right into a guard's line of sight to reach the family.

- You can go backwards, which is extremely helpful if you are about to enter a guard's line of sight.

- The guards move differently each time, depending on your route and randomness, therefore no single walkthrough can be given.

=====A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME...ERRR, PLOT=====
Around 4 years ago, the "in things" were Neopets Trading Cards (exactly how "in" Trading Cards are is an entirely preferential opinion...). Neopets would put out booster packs, as so many card companies do, and one such pack was the Return of Dr Sloth TCG kit.

To accompany the release of the Return of Dr Sloth TCG, Neopets were intending on releasing a Return of Dr Sloth plot. However, time constraints and a certain annoying Usul's plot prevented them from being able to ever actually release it. After post phoning it a few times, they just decided to scrap it and focus on making the next plot - a Curse on Maraqua - better.

Believing they'd never do the Return of Dr Sloth plot, TNT began (creating and) releasing the games they had set to tie in with the plot - IE: The Return of the Return of Dr Sloth, Escape to Kreludor and Moon Rock Rampage - but what to do about those awesome characters (and their escapades) that featured in the TCG expansion pack and in the games?

Simple - throw together some articles in the Gallery of Heroes that detail what the plot was going to be like, release some cool looking items and pretend like the events actually happened in Neopia, but not in the Neopets.com realm of users, plots, events etc.

Now, TNT (in an awesome move) have decided to revisit the Return of Dr Sloth plot in all its chicken-headed glory. Unfortunately, as they didn't want their characters and games to go to waste, the plot's rough outline is already detailed throughout the site. Long story short? There are articles, games and cards that explain what the expected plot will be. Short story long? Anything by DickensKoL ftw

Post subject: Re: Return of Dr Sloth [Split 7]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:24 am 
PPT God
PPT God

ugh i still havent even done one of my 10 mod codes >.<

Ive been seriously lazy........must.do.maths!
I HAVE to finish this plot, and every step of it too!

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:07 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

UGH. I've got 5 plot threads to read, and I've not completed a single 3 mod encryption.

My uni workload is HUGE, but I really don't want to give up on the plot ;_;

Gone, forever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I don't wanna stop now! I'm in basically the final stage of step2 the 7symbol codes and man this is hard.

Edit: YAHAAHAHAHAAA WAHOOOO! First of the 7symbol codes finished, however it dodn't have the Garoo Message.

Oh crap! I just remembered that I left my car keys in the OTHER dimension...

Last edited by Karnatu on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Someone in the previous split asked if they posted a screen cap could someone else solve the puzzle for them. Possibly if someone had enough time and wanted to, I suppose. But for me, being able to drag and drop each code, and being able to tap the inccorect code and have it pop back into its place in the list, and having the codes checked automatically, made an enormous difference. I am grateful to TNT for helping that much to make it a bit easier. If we'd had to copy and paste each code into the mod boxes and click "check code" it would have added hours and hours and hours.

The code game wasn't fun. I don't know if fewer choices- say, 15 or 20 instead of 30, would have made much of a difference. It's kind of OK if a not so fun game is used, but it would have been nice for it not be so tedious. At least everyone (except those with carpel tunnel or no time) could do it, unlike some games that I can't do with my dialup or games that require good reflexes and coordination.

I wondered if the reasoning could have been that they put up a game and a couple hours later everyone has solved it and are waiting anxiously for the next step. This slowed people down, for sure.

About the external help, I can kind of see their point. Anyone could post that they have a calculator offsite and people dash over there only to find that they've downloaded a trojan or evil software onto their computer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 pm 

Grrr! Im stuck on the last 2nd mode code.... I still got so much to go and so little time :( I really dont want to give up but its giving me SUCH a head ache! If this plot is hard for grownups, imagine how hard it is for little kids like 6 year olds!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:43 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

kseniak12 wrote:
Grrr! Im stuck on the last 2nd mode code.... I still got so much to go and so little time :( I really dont want to give up but its giving me SUCH a head ache! If this plot is hard for grownups, imagine how hard it is for little kids like 6 year olds!

Realistically, 6-year-old kids won't be solving this plot. period. there's no way TNT had little kids in mind when they designed the plot. It's way too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I'm throwing in the towel. I've solved all my 1- and 2- mods and a couple of 3 mods but the time I'm burning up for it just isn't worth it anymore, so unless TNT puts in a bit where I can participate without finishing step 2 that's that.
I will, however, be waiting for a fight to break out so i can unload all the healing pots I've stockpiled for a nice tidy profit. :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:08 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Wow, the puzzle I'm in is just incredibly wierd/tedious, I've tried 10 out 12 possible sets and still haven't got the answer at least I hope this is the final one!

Edit: I'm on the final set and still no correct answer! And I'm starting to get a feeling that I missed/skipped a line... :x :x :cry:

Second edit: Someone PLEASE help, No combination was right! All 12 possible combinations were used and I still haven't found the answer. PLEASE help me! :x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:15 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

eilu wrote:
I'm throwing in the towel. I've solved all my 1- and 2- mods and a couple of 3 mods but the time I'm burning up for it just isn't worth it anymore, so unless TNT puts in a bit where I can participate without finishing step 2 that's that.
I will, however, be waiting for a fight to break out so i can unload all the healing pots I've stockpiled for a nice tidy profit. :evil:

I hope they let you fight. Right now, you can't go on to step three in the plot (Escaping the Guards) without finishing the previous step (the Nasty Decryption). Personally, I think it'd be wrong if they didn't let you fight, but who knows what they'll do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:17 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

The sheer difficulty of the decryption step actually makes me question the length of this plot. I just think the number of 3-digit modifiers to crack was cruel. Unless you have HOURS of free time to devote to solving, there is no chance you can move forward. It's weeding out a lot of players who would like to participate. It makes me wonder how much more is planned. Without as many people playing, will they really devote a lot of time / money to developing plot steps that only a relative handful can play? Not only that, but the steps and comics are coming out pretty fast. It doesn't feel like they're drawing things out as much as they could. All of the character captions, from the Gallery of Heroes and cards, only cover their actions until they reach Kreludor... and we're on our way there once things are updated. It makes me wonder if the JttLI plot set a new standard - quick plots.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Matrinka wrote:
...It makes me wonder if the JttLI plot set a new standard - quick plots.

Cheese n' crackers, I hope not. That would be a truly sucky thing indeed. Only time can tell. We'll see how this goes. Maybe we'll finally get past that S750 Kreludan Defender Robot guarding the mine...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:32 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Karnatu wrote:
Wow, the puzzle I'm in is just incredibly wierd/tedious, I've tried 10 out 12 possible sets and still haven't got the answer at least I hope this is the final one!

Edit: I'm on the final set and still no correct answer! And I'm starting to get a feeling that I missed/skipped a line... :x :x :cry:

Second edit: Someone PLEASE help, No combination was right! All 12 possible combinations were used and I still haven't found the answer. PLEASE help me! :x

I had one where I went through all 12 possibilities without solving. I started over, and about half way through I solved it, must have missed the correct codes first time through. Whats the odds that out of the hundreds of codes entered, I missed the one correct one.

Just finished, so I'm starting on step 3.

BTW, thanks a million to those who posted the help tables, instead of just a few hundred possible combinations, it would have been over 24,000 for each of the 3 modifier codes :o

EDIT:
eilu wrote:

Please don't quit, it only took me a total of about 6 hours. Hopefully the rest of teh puzzles won't be so tedious.

MayEdit: Please do not double-post. If you were the last to post and you have something to add, please use the handy Image button in the lower right corner of your post. :)

Quietly contemplating life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:05 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

tippey wrote:
Karnatu wrote:

I had one where I went through all 12 possibilities without solving. I started over, and about half way through I solved it, must have missed the correct codes first time through. Whats the odds that out of the hundreds of codes entered, I missed the one correct one.

Just finished, so I'm starting on step 3.

BTW, thanks a million to those who posted the help tables, instead of just a few hundred possible combinations, it would have been over 24,000 for each of the 3 modifier codes :o

AHHHHHH! I've spent over 1 and a half hours on this!! TNT, you suck! That's right you no longer rock as said in the Neopian Times. I wish I could just start up a petition but thanks to nimboy or whatever that guy was called alot of people are through to the next round! GREAT!

Anyway people, do any of you know a math solution that doesn't require testing pieces because it seems that this will be my last try to get to the end faster.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 pm 

HOLY MOLY THIS IS CRAPTASTIC....

it's not necessarily hard or anything...

JUST FREAKING TEDIOUS!!! arrggg....

I have one more 3-mod without the O and then four WITH the O
I'm not a happy neopian right now.... >.<

but taking brain breaks each time i finish one has helped a whole lot....keeping me from going crazy *twitches*

No I'm not evil!....I'm just ethically challenged....
Hopelessly Dead Greenie
Green Team Zombie!!!!
Infection count: III

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next