Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking to buy a new computer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Well I'll be using my computer primarily for multi-tasking with 30 open windows, playing 3D games like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Sims 2 and Battlefield. Furthermore, even the Neopets' game Shenkuu Warrior lags considerably on my computer so I'd also like it to not lag on the new computer I'm going to get (I'm estimating a 5-10 fps rate).

So what should I be looking for in order for fps rates to somewhere above 35 and maintain a stable computer? I've heard that having a multi-core processor can make an impact, but I'm not sure of the degree of improvement in comparison to getting more RAM, a 3.0GHz processor or a better video card. So I would appreciate anyone who could tell me which feature I should be focusing on to get a new computer with better performance and stability.

There are also some other things in the computer catalog that I'm not sure about like the cache on the processor or anything else that can affect performance. If possible, could I know any novice guides out there that can explain to me how things like how chipset and cache affect computer performance?

Thanks in advance

Save the trees! Don't do homework!

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy a new computer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:17 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Okay well if your going to have numerous windows open all open at the same time then your going to want more RAM and it sounds like you make good use of your RAM. Im going to include a list below of things it would be nice to have (also are you playing any high end detailed 3d games like Doom 3 in ultra mode?) The parts I list are going to be just that, parts so if you have the ability to build the computer yourself you can get it a little cheper although you'll have to install windows and some basic programs but you can just as easily find these components in a pre-made computer (You could probally fluctuate either way according to price but this is a rough estimate):

-2 sticks of 1gb RAM]2 sticks of 1gb RAM $84.90
-Duo-Processor I'd suggest atleast 3.0 ghz but I guess it matters on your price range$169.99-A motherboard that can hold all your stuff and has plenty of room for expansion Around $150
- Your video card can get you in trouble, you want a nice one but don't go high end unless you really need it, if your playing Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon you wont need something to extravigent but Id still suggest something with some power Id suggest around 256 mb 128 bit or higher but shop around but Id say around $150- Also if you're installing a decent amount of games Id suggest a decent size harddrive maybe somewhere around 120GB minimum but you can get a 320 GB for around $80 while a 250 gb is about $70 I guess it depends on how much stuff is on your computer.
- A nice looking case because you need a nice looking case $50-way too much
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total: Around $700 ( Could downgrade a bit but this would be nice machine)

If you have any questions just post or pm me

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]