Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Calculator Programming
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Does anyone else program in TI-BASIC and if so do you want to bounce ideas off each other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:48 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I made a couple simple games a while back... I've forgotten how to do any of it now, of course :P

<3 Laq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Snake! (screen is too small for any reasonable display of a sudoku board; pong is a redraw nightmare)

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:11 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

What calculator? Are you using an 8X (73, 73E, 80, 81, 82, 83, 83+, 83+S, 84+, 84+S, 85, 86) or 9X (89, 89T, 92, 92 II, 92+, V200)?

The big thing to remember if you want to make games is to use seperate programs. One of the biggest issues with TI-BASIC is that the Lbl command starts at the top of the program and searches, line by line, for the label you're referencing. If you try to make one all-inclusive program, it probably won't be nearly as fast as you need it to be.

There's a lot of material available online on optimization, for instance, consider the for() coomand:

:PRGMFOREX
:for(a,1,1000)
:a
:end

will run very quickly, but if you have

:PRGMFOREX
:for(a,1,1000
:a
:end

will go much slower. The one-byte ) will reduce the program size, but will make your program much slower.

Finally, if you want to make graphical games, you almost have to use ASM routines. Many programs exist solely to integrate ASM commands into TI-BASIC programs. The best is probably xLIB; it is an all-inclusive graphic library that integrates graphics into TI-BASIC programs. xLIB xLIB Revolution is perhaps the best xLIB program.

Personally, I would suggest learning machine language for the Zilog Z-80, the processor running 8X calculators, or for the Motorola 68000. Both are very popular processors, the former being used in the Gameboy and for the Sega Genesis's audio, and the latter being the main processor for the Genesis. Because they are so popular, you can find a lot of resources online for using them: much more than with the proprietary TI-BASIC. Plus, it's a low level language, so it's much faster, and grayscale is much more easily obtainable.

The only major downside to ASM is that you cannot type in ASM programs on your calculator; it must be done on a computer. Technically you could enter in binary (and I have a friend who programs in binary on his TI-82, it's really cool), but 1) soooo many errors are possible, and 2) who really wants to enter in 800,000 1's and 0's into their calculator?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Uncle Xyzzy wrote:
There's a lot of material available online on optimization, for instance, consider the for() coomand

That particular one seems to do nothing on TI-84; both benchmark loops finish at approximately the same time.

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:10 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I have a Ti-83 plus and a Ti-89 Titanium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:16 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Hunter Lupe wrote:
Uncle Xyzzy wrote:
There's a lot of material available online on optimization, for instance, consider the for() coomand

That particular one seems to do nothing on TI-84; both benchmark loops finish at approximately the same time.

Hmm? I did that exact thing on my 84+, and it took significantly longer without the ).

For graphical programming on the 83+, visit this directory. xLIB is in there, as well as smaller, more specialized programs.

For graphical porgramming on the 89T, visit this directory. For some of these (and many programs) written for the regular 89, you will need the HW3Patch and Ghostbuster. Information on using these 2 programs are included with the program.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]