Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: A problem with the internet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:52 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well, I hoped I had a problem that would blow over, my computer that I prefer, as in, my computer, will not connect to the internet. Plugging either of our ethernet cables in results in an error - limited or no connectivity.

Okay, I have very little knowledge on resolving this error, please ask for any details and I'll try to provide them.

Things I know:
    The internet works with my brother's computer.
    It is nothing to do with the cables - they both work with my brother's computer, but both fail on mine.
    There is no default gateway listed.
    When the cable is inserted, the lights that indicate something do not light, hehehe.
    I am assigned an IP address, however.

Sorry for ultimate vaugeness, I'd be willing to try anything out, as the school terms are now rolling in, not having to use my brother's internet is very useful.

Click the wonderful signature. You know you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Try going down to the little icon on the task bar for your internet connection and right-click it. Then click 'Repair'. It will then try and fix it, but if that doesn't work and if you haven't tried this already (though I'm fairly sure you have) restart your computer :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:08 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

:P It's been going on for around three weeks, heh, when I try that, I get the error of failing to renew my IP address.

Other minor gripe - my PC does not shut down fully, and has nearly caused a fire because of it. Again, I'll source anything required. Now, I flick the switch at the back when it has shut down, but it hangs at the final screen (Windows is shutting down?), and my MSN on there isn't working too, that hangs as well...

And I can't system restore because of it not shutting down, so everything is kinda a mess, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:13 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

You could try disabling and enabling the Ethernet port via Network Connections, but you probably already tried that.

And if your computer can't shut down fully, you might just have to pull the plug and put it back in, but I would only do that as a last resort in the rare chance that it fries your hard drive (but if you want to try that, back up your files first).

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:14 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Do you and your brother use the same router?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

The router has issues, it stopped working after a lightning storm a few weeks ago. Gives me the limited or no connectivity error too, silly thing, and did when my internet was working. My brother gets no connectivity, because he does not have SP2 (SP2 = root of all my woes). We used to share it, however, now we take in turns the modem. We shall be looking at reinvesting into one of those soon.

Dragonfire - yup, tried that. When I re-enable it, it spends a few minutes attempting to acquire the network address, then pops up with limited or no connectivity. At the moment, I've been flicking the on/off switch, but it is certainly less than practical (I didn't realise at first, my power supply was already a bit faulty, and ended up melting the power cord. Luckily, my brother was home, however, it could have been worse... though after getting my new supply, the problems has been eliminated)...

A bit of a ramble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:35 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Yeah, based on what you said, I suggest getting a new router, because most likely that might be the problem.

What kind of router do you currently have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Uh, a Belkin something. ;D

But, it worked for a while after the router failed, one day, it wouldn't work for no real reason. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:05 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, if you get a new router, go for Linksys. I've used three different Linksys products at home (wireless router, wireless laptop card, and wireless USB card) and I had no problems.

It could also be the Ethernet network card installed in your computer, but I'm thinking it's more likely the router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:14 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well, the thing is, without router, but direct plug from modem to computer, it worked for a while. My router is currently not in use. :) I think it could be something to do with my network card, to be honest, for no real reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:22 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Ah, okay. Well, then it's probably the network card.

Or it could be the OS, because we all know how unpredictable Windows is. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:49 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Hmm, you've probably done this too, but have you compared your computer's internet settings with those on your brother's? Eg. the DNS and the default gateway, particularly.

I dunno if I'm going in completely the wrong direction (I'm not sure about the limited connectivity part), but something I do when I'm troubleshooting our network at home is to try pinging the router, then someone else on the network, then a website ... but I guess only the last bit will be handy for you, since you're not really routered or networked :)

To try pinging "www.google.com", go to the Start Menu and "Run..." and then type "cmd" and press the "OK" button.

A DOS window thingy should pop up. Type "ping http://www.google.com" and see if you get any results (you should get a couple of "Reply from..."s). If that doesn't work, try typing "ping 66.249.89.99" (Google's IP address). If that one works but the first didn't, then there's probably something wrong with your DNS settings.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]