Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Neil Gaiman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm currently devouring the complete works of Neil Gaiman. I got a copy of Fragile Things for my birthday, so I can't wait to get started on that. :D

My favorites (so far; I haven't read all of his books) are American Gods, Anansi Boys, Good Omens, and Neverwhere. It's wonderful and scarily plausible at 3 AM how that he integrates hidden worlds with our own in those. You can tell he loved the Narnia books. Plus, I absolutely love Crowley, Aziraphale, the Them, Charlie, Shadow, and Hunter. He's got a gift for writing characters that inspire me to want to hear absolutely everything about them.

I know that there are some other Neil Gaiman fans here. What are your favorites of his books? Who are your favorite characters?

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I haven't read a lot of his stuff...I primarily only know about him from The Sandman, which I loved and still love (and of which my favorite characters are Death and Dream, with Delirium close behind). The only one of his novels I've read is Neverwhere, which I also enjoyed immensely...I felt an odd affinity to The Angel Islington. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:04 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
I remember really liking Neverwhere, even though I remember nothing about it. Stardust has pretty much been erased from my memory as well, even though it was good too. Anansi Boys stuck with me a little better, because I read it more than once. I actually liked Fat Charlie more at the beginning of the book than at the end, though.
He also co-authored The Books of Magic, a graphic novel series, and he did some stuff with Buffy The Vampire Slayer, although I can't remember what exactly. There's a very creepy story he wrote called Coraline that's purportedly for children, but I wouldn't read it to a child unless it were the spawn of Satan or something.
It looks like some of his stuff's going to be turned into movies. Finally, something I can go see at the movie theater that's worth watching.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

TiCup wrote:
I haven't read a lot of his stuff...I primarily only know about him from The Sandman, which I loved and still love (and of which my favorite characters are Death and Dream, with Delirium close behind). The only one of his novels I've read is Neverwhere, which I also enjoyed immensely...I felt an odd affinity to The Angel Islington.

I keep meaning to read The Sandman comic books, but I must admit that I'm somewhat intimidated by how many of them there are. I'll get over that soon enough. :)

Isn't it excellently creepy how good he is at making you relate to all of his characters, even the scary ones?

Moongewl wrote:
Anansi Boys stuck with me a little better, because I read it more than once. I actually liked Fat Charlie more at the beginning of the book than at the end, though.

I can definitely see your point about Fat Charlie, so I'm not sure why I don't feel that way too. I guess I just liked him so much as an unconfident office worker that I couldn't help but be happy for him once his situation improved.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:06 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

oohhhyes.

yes.

yes.

I think i just might marry Neil Gaiman one day. Perhaps.

youknow. yeah.

Anyway. I don't quite know that i can identify with desire or despair, but then again, i guess i'm not supposed to :P
But i lovveeed American gods and Anansi Boys, as well as good omens. I went back and re-read good omens after having read quite a few Neil Gaiman and Tery Pratchett books, and it's really great. You can almost tell who's writing at what point. The man's a genius.

ImageImage
I LIKE MONKEYS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I read through the entire sandman series back when I was like 17 or 18. Absolutely fantabulous series. ALthough they were borrowed books... I want to eventually have them all to myself. At home, I've got a few of the offspring of the sandman series - Death (which was only one book, but she rocks) and Lucifer, which is three books.

I've got a signed sketches and signed comics too thanks to my mate Wendy for birthdays and Christmases... she is the woman that for part of my wedding present, bought us a statue of supergirl... ok, we love that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:37 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

One of my friends was reading American Gods which I then got hooked on; after hearing him talk about it. I got copies of Coraline, Stardust, Neverwhere, Smoke and Mirrors, and Sandman: A Book of Dreams after I finished American Gods. I haven't read Anansi Boys yet; but now I feel the urge to re-read them all again.

Thank you. :)

Post subject: Re: Neil Gaiman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:31 am 

My nine year old was wanting to read Stardust. I checked it out, but I decided to read it first to make sure it was OK for her. I decided not to let her read it yet, but I really did enjoy it myself. It turned me onto Gaiman's other books.

Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]