SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Books you love but nobody else seems to like

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Ever since I started reading at age 3, (i'm not kidding), I have always loved books. By age 12, I was reading Catcher and the Rye. (And liking it.) Here are some others I love that NOBODY else at my high school seems to like:

-TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD-

-A TALE OF TWO CITIES-

-JANE EYRE-

-PRIDE AND PREJUDICE-

-THE DIVINE COMEDY BY DANTE-

-WUTHERING HEIGHTS-

-LITTLE WOMEN-

-SHAKESPEARE-

There's more...much more. But that, is a story for another day.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:03 pm

erm..

Jane Eyre
Little Women
Eragon/Eldest

:)

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Erm...Speak. Everyone else seems to hate it and says it's horribly written, I guess I just like it because I can identify with it. Eh. Plus the cover art is cool. :P

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Hmm..

The Scarlet Letter
To Kill A Mockingbird (I read it in the 8th grade for class, and then went out and bought a copy. The guy at the bookstore asked me what class I was reading it for when I bought it.)
Ethan Frome
Slaughterhouse Five

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Anything by Meggin Cabot, Lauren Weisenberger and Candace Bushnell. I know they're all Chick-lit books, but they're really damn good.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:06 pm

Twitchy wrote:Eragon/Eldest

I've never met anyone who read those that didn't like them.

Anyways, I really liked Seabiscuit, which I've never met anyone who read it that did like it.
And I liked Robinson Curusoe.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:31 pm

Well, I liked

Jane Eyre
Great Expectations
To Kill A Mockingbird
and many other classic novels that no one seems to like...

And I liked

The Mill on the Floss and Middlemarch,

both by George Eliot, which no one seems to have heard of. o_O

Eragon/Eldest

I belong to an Eragon/Eldest hate site. :evil: :)

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Jen wrote:Anyways, I really liked Seabiscuit, which I've never met anyone who read it that did like it.

I read Seabiscuit last year for my English class. I really liked it too. :)

Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:22 am

A good number of the books listed hear are pretty well liked. Slaughterhouse-Five for instance. I don't know anyone who dislikes it.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:38 am

NeoPet_online wrote:Anything by Meggin Cabot, Lauren Weisenberger and Candace Bushnell. I know they're all Chick-lit books, but they're really damn good.

You're adorable. XD

Maybe it's just 'cause it helps you get into the mind of females?

You should try the Shopaholic books. XD

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:58 am

Sugarinii wrote:Erm...Speak. Everyone else seems to hate it and says it's horribly written, I guess I just like it because I can identify with it. Eh. Plus the cover art is cool. :P

I love that book! I only know a few other people who've read it.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:55 pm

SpiraLethe wrote:A good number of the books listed hear are pretty well liked. Slaughterhouse-Five for instance. I don't know anyone who dislikes it.

I despise that book. I chose to read it for my grade 12 english ISP because it fit into my theme. It took me so long to read because I disliked it so much. In retrospect it is a pretty interesting story but I just can't stand it.

In other news, I always enjoyed the classics they made us read in school that no one else admits to liking. I always loved Farenheight 451.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Wuthering Heights and Little Women mainly. :hug:

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:12 am

I also really like Farenheit 51. I read it in seventh grade and I hear we have to read it in school in eleventh. Um, okay.

Same with 1984. Apparently a lot of people really hate it, I loved it! And again, I read it in seventh grade and we have to read it in school in eleventh. Right.

And in the seventh grade we read The Giver in school, which I had already read in fifth grade.

Actually I also kinda like The Giver a little. At least the most interesting book we've been assigned to read in school. Though that isn't really saying much. :P

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:56 pm

0_0 I was just gonna say the giver and 1984. We had to read The giver in 5th grade but no one liked it because they didn't understand. I found it well written and I have a weakness for books about utopia and how humans act. Thus why I loved 1984, they take you to places no other book on this subject takes you. It really shows that a humans brain is a twig waiting to snap and once thats done you can do what you want. Amazing books.
Topic locked