SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:56 am

-Johnny Tremain (*yawn*)
-All Quiet on the Western Front (WWI is semi-interesting, but how this is written makes the story SO boring and it drags on forever)

But most of all...

The Pearl!

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:28 pm

The Lake at the End of the World, who's author I can't remember right now. It absolutely bored the stuffing out of me.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:35 pm

The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Doyle. :/

(I almost said by Sherlock Holmes there, haha)

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:06 pm

Funny I come to this thread after the one I just posted on (books I had to read), when I was going to post about this here in the first place.

A Separate Peace was, in my opinion, horrible. I know this is probably too much information, but I remember falling asleep reading it once and drooling *all* over it. When I had to turn it in the next day, my teacher asked me why it was wet and all I could say was "It rained and I have a mesh backpack." D'oh!

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:49 pm

Hil wrote:But most of all...

The Pearl!

*shudders* Don't remind me. Of Mice and Men was worse though.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:55 pm

Oh, I liked The Pearl and Of Mice and Men.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:52 pm

There have only been two books that I couldn't read the whole way through; one was so stupid that I can't even remember the name of it. The other was Pride and Prejudice. I know it's popular right now, and I'm sure that a lot of people love it and I'm really missing out and blah blah blah, but I hated it. I hated it worse than all of the other books I read for AP English, and I wound up reading about twelve pages of it before giving up.

I didn't like the Redwall series either, but I did make it the entire way through the first book. But the first one was enough to tell me I didn't want to bother with any others.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:52 am

The Old Man and the Sea. Man catches fish, sharks eat fish, Man is Jesuslike. Along the way we hear a lot about Joe DiMaggio and the gender of the sea. I'm sure this book has some redeeming quality somewhere, but I couldn't stand to read it twice and look again. In fact, when I finished reading it I threw it across the room and refused to pick it up again until it was time to take it back to school. It sat on my floor and I stomped on it several times.
A Tale of Two Cities. Maybe because I was forced to read it at 14, when I didn't even know there WAS a French Revolution and none of it made sense. If you're going to make a high school freshman read Dickens, can't it be Great Expectations?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:55 pm

fergermister wrote:
mayanspypilot wrote:For me, it would have to be a tie between The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne and A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Bleh.

I forgot about A Tale of Two Cities. That almost made me fall asleep.

Oh gosh, thats one of my summer reading books :cry:

Hil wrote:But most of all...

The Pearl!

UGH! That book was terrible, it was so-so pointless.

But I really hated House on Mango Street - although it could have been all the extra work we had to do with it.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Moongewl wrote:A Tale of Two Cities. Maybe because I was forced to read it at 14, when I didn't even know there WAS a French Revolution and none of it made sense.

I just read that a few weeks ago (right before I turned 15), and while I am fully aware of what the French Revolution was and what happened during it (yay history geekness!), it's just... ugh. BEYOND boring.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:08 pm

LotR (Love the movies, though^^)
Of Mice and Men
Much Ado About Nothing (It's as the title suggests)
Ethan Frome
All Quiet on the Western Front
Speak

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:10 pm

Anything by O. R. Melling.
A Series of Unfortunate Events

That is all >_<.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Though I tried twice, I couldn't bring myself to go past the first 2 chapters of "The Great Gatsby".
Also, I think "The Da Vinci Code" is the most stupid book ever, and I have no clue why some people would like that. Possibly they haven't read book with real suspence.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:47 pm

Venice wrote:The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Doyle. :/

(I almost said by Sherlock Holmes there, haha)

lol, I hated that one. It bored my to death, I didn't know what was going on...

and

Building Blocks by Cynthia Voigt (sp?)

I had to read that for Literacy, and it was weird. o_0

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Red Badge of Courage, and Great Expectations (or any novel by Dickens), and finally, Jane Eyre. Instead of reading Jane Eyre for one class, I got a friend of mine to tell me about it. She loved the book and described it pretty in-depth and I found out that I really do enjoy the story. But gah! Charlotte Bronte's writing is the literary equivalent of wearing shoes two sizes too small: no matter small your steps are, it's always painful.
Topic locked