SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:59 pm

The story is that my older sister and I learned to read at roughly the same time, so I'd have been about 1 1/2 or thereabouts. Apparently I circled all the words that I understood in some of her books and she got mad at me for that. I was much sneakier after that--I always rewound her Hooked on Phonics tapes. I don't remember any of it, but I have seen the books with all the badly-made circles.

I was reading properly by kindergarten, but I don't know when I made the switch from fake baby reading to real reading.
Last edited by Pudding on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:48 am

I started reading when I was 4. I was in pre-school and was reading some of the books they had. I am now a bookworm :D I read alot.

My fave book series is A.S.O.U.E.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:20 pm

I started reading goosebumps books at around 5.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:01 am

Around two or three. The first book I ever read was Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss; I started reading it out loud and my mom was like :O OMG SHE'S READING!

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:08 pm

I taught myself (probably from TV shows where the words appear on tbhe screen) when I was 3, and then in 1st grade (5 yrs) I was reading at a 10th grade level. It may be hard to believe, but my mom says it's true.....

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:12 pm

I was reading straight out of the womb. Yup, I popped out, got cleaned up and then delved straight into the works of Wordsworth and Shakespeare.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:06 pm

I think I was 4 when I started being able to read out of the Mother Goose nursery rhyme book that my mother always read to me. Either that, or I had just memorized most of the rhymes from them being read to me so many times, haha. I can't really remember anything before that.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:32 am

I was probably reading around 3 or 4. I was definitely competent by the time I started school.

My youngest sister was a bit of a concern for my mom; I'm the oldest of five, and all of us started reading quite a bit before kindergarten, but she was nearly ready to start school and still couldn't read. One day, however, my mom came across her sitting in a corner reading perfectly fine on her own. When she asked my little sister how long she'd been able to read, she responded with, "Oh, a long time now...but I was afraid that if you knew, you'd stop reading to me!"

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 am

Depends on what language. :P
I started reading English when I was like 4? I started reading Chinese when I was like 3.5?
I remember my father forcing me to read and scolding me and I was crying. :P

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:27 pm

I would have been about 3, maybe 4. I know I taught myself and it was found out when I read to my sister. I started getting really serious about reading when I was in the first grade so I was 6.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:38 am

I'm not sure when I started reading by myself. My mom read to me since I was a teensy baby, and I think I just started picking it up over her shoulder. I know I was picking out library books and reading them on the way home when I was six, so it had to be before that.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:52 pm

I started learning to read when I was 4 but couldn't actually read until I was 7. Of course it didn't help that the only books I ever picked up were picture books :D
My teacher noticed and assigned me special books from our class bookcase but I always managed to sneak off with the picture books. :P

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:57 pm

I learned to read when I was 3. Back then all I read was Dr.Seuss, now all we drink is Dr.Pepper.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:11 pm

Probably around three; actually good, 8 or nine.

pokemonfreak27 wrote:I learned to read when I was 3. Back then all I read was Dr.Seuss, now all we drink is Dr.Pepper.

Dr Pepper. No period.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm

My mom always tells me about when I went in for Kindergarten screening. The lady asked me if I knew how to read, and when I said yes, she put one of those "See Jane" books on the table and said "Read what's on the table for me". I, being an almost kindergartner, didn't understand her directions and started reading her screening directions sheet out loud to her...

"Step one: Be sure that you have the correct name and address for each child..."

My mom read to me 2-3 times EVERY day, so I learned pretty early. :)
Topic locked