Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:30 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I couldn't finish The Great Gatsby for my English class, it was just too boring. I think I read up to page 20 before flucking it away. I haven't touched it since last year.

Also I agree with Setekh, The Da Vinci Code was stupid. Last time I read a book just because everyone else does.

Set by Pixa <3 || WWW for previous sets || T-Shirts gallery
Support Roo Island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
Ohhh I remember THAT book. I remember a couple of ppl in my school huddled in a corner reading certain pages from that book lol.

I liked the da vinci code but a lot of it was too hyped up. i hear they're making a movie of that now.

The worst book i read was "Jenny was so naughty her mum stopped loving her". it tramatized me for my entire childhood.

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I read the first one and liked it, but for some reason, I can't get into the Left Behind kids series.
And I probably won't like the real one. THEY KILL EVERYONE! :cry: Even Chloe! How dare they! <_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:43 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

DM was on fire! wrote:
I read the first one and liked it, but for some reason, I can't get into the Left Behind kids series.
And I probably won't like the real one. THEY KILL EVERYONE! :cry: Even Chloe! How dare they! <_<

That's intentional. In the first book it's said that only 1/4 will live, and, ta-daa, three of the original 4 in the group die.

Cold Sassy Tree, by Olive Ann Burns. Why does torture have to be given in the form of a school assignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:39 am 

I read up to book 12 or 13 or 14 of the Left Behindseries for adults. I enjoyed the series...right up until the Anti-Christ died. What does it say when the most charismatic character is the Anti-Christ in a pro-Christian series? Sheesh. Needless to say, I haven't read any since then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:22 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ummm. Duh?
The Anti-christ, lord of darkness, the most manipulative being in existance is charismatic.
Who would've thunk it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:05 pm 

No surprise that he was charismatic. My beef, as it were, lays in the fact that he was (to my surprise) really the only reason for reading the books. Crafty, wily--just plain interesting. The other characters in the books lose what little personality they have as soon as they become Christians. Duh=unnecessary. ;)

Back on topic...I didn't like Anne Rice's Cry to Heaven. Had to slog through it just to get to the end. Generally, I like her writing--but that book was not one of her best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Not your kind of book then, if the only reason you read a Pro-christian book is because of the great betrayer. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 pm 

I don't know. I enjoyed the books for what they were--messages of what could come, a fictionalizing of Biblical text, etc...but I realized that the more I read, the more I looked forward to the scenes in which the Anti-Christ appeared. I know that it was probably the intention of the authors to make him seductive, almost, in terms of charm and intelligence, but I think perhaps they went overboard. Or maybe they didn't develop other characters as fully. In general, I liked the books, but stopped liking them once Carpathia (the Anti-Christ) was dead.

Here's another book I didn't like: Clive Barker's Weaveworld. He wrote too much. He could have cut about 200 pages and the book wouldn't have suffered. (This is not to say I don't like rambling authors--I love Stephen King, and he's as longwinded as they come.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:58 pm 

I hated, repeat, hated the Da Vinci code. Everybody at school was hyped up about it; 'Ooh, did you hear about his grandfather?', 'Ohmigod, that is such a cool book' is all I heard for weeks on end. x_x

The pain. I was stuck in Spain in the middle of nowhere (cliche, but it's true) with a book my dad had bought for me. He'd heard 'it was very good, according to my colleague, Bob Wood' bla bla bla, and just to stop him talking, I began to read it.

By the end of it, I realised all it was was a silly little spy story that happens to involve Da Vinci and the Holy Grail. The whole thing about Jesus being married and such didn't intrigue me as it did my schoolfriends; I'd read enough controversial religion books before the Da Vinci code and none of this was new to me.

In short, this book bored me and was too unrealistic. :)

End of rant, :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:31 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

endeavourl wrote:
CrewWolf wrote:
And the latest Harry Potter book. That's right, I said it. Maybe I'm just growing out of the series, or maybe I just don't like the thought of the cute sweet little characters growing up, but I think it was mostly lacking that something that drew me to the series in the first place which would take too long to explain here. Sorry if I'm stepping on anybody's toes, but that's how I feel..

I totally agree. I feel like it is lacking that sense of "magic" (no pun intended) that made the first couple of books genuinely good. It just isnt the same anymore when Rowling knows that she has a grand following and she's rich.

Yeah, dunno, I'd say the books are good, but they keep getting more and more depressing... after I read her later books( five and six) I get so depressed o.O;
She doesn't really add anything all that new... The spells, the ideas... they're all quite similar to the ones she's used before, dunno o.O;;;

What I REALLY don't agree with is how they're saying that she's changed the whole meaning of Fantasy, and stuff like that. They're good books, but I don't think she's caused any major changes, or any changes at all. A lot of authors have wonderful ideas. Haven't they all contributed to the fantasy world of literature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:45 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Wolven Spirits wrote:
endeavourl wrote:
CrewWolf wrote:
And the latest Harry Potter book. That's right, I said it. Maybe I'm just growing out of the series, or maybe I just don't like the thought of the cute sweet little characters growing up, but I think it was mostly lacking that something that drew me to the series in the first place which would take too long to explain here. Sorry if I'm stepping on anybody's toes, but that's how I feel..

I totally agree. I feel like it is lacking that sense of "magic" (no pun intended) that made the first couple of books genuinely good. It just isnt the same anymore when Rowling knows that she has a grand following and she's rich.

Yeah, dunno, I'd say the books are good, but they keep getting more and more depressing... after I read her later books( five and six) I get so depressed o.O;
She doesn't really add anything all that new... The spells, the ideas... they're all quite similar to the ones she's used before, dunno o.O;;;

What I REALLY don't agree with is how they're saying that she's changed the whole meaning of Fantasy, and stuff like that. They're good books, but I don't think she's caused any major changes, or any changes at all. A lot of authors have wonderful ideas. Haven't they all contributed to the fantasy world of literature?

I'm still terrified for my two favourites, Malfoy and Snape.

Quote:
Image How come in the TCG: Darkest Faerie edition there's a Yellow Gallion, but no such option to paint your Gallion this colour exists?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:33 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Anything shakespeare xD I dont like old school literature too often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:20 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Location: Drooling over Severus Snape in delicious IMAX size.
Dusket wrote:
Wolven Spirits wrote:
endeavourl wrote:
CrewWolf wrote:

Oh oh, me too! And what's worse is I have a nasty feeling they're both going to die... :(

I'm trying to get through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I'm finding it really hard to get past the first ten chapters. I keep stopping and having to re-read again to figure out what's happening. o_0

Set by _jaye_!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Maryann wrote:
Dusket wrote:
Wolven Spirits wrote:
endeavourl wrote:
CrewWolf wrote:

Oh oh, me too! And what's worse is I have a nasty feeling they're both going to die... :(

I'm trying to get through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I'm finding it really hard to get past the first ten chapters. I keep stopping and having to re-read again to figure out what's happening. o_0

I hope Malfoy and Snape die in the last book, they bug me soo much, they diserve it!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next