Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do you pick a favorite Sports team???
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:37 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I really don't know. The only sport I halfway understand is Baseball and then when all my friends are talking about their favorite sports teams,I feel left out..so how DO you choose?

If this is in the wrong forum,I won't whine if you move it.

Awesome set by Tomatie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Many people support their local team
For example, if you're from Salford you support Manchester United, people from Leeds support Leeds United etc. (this is football).
However some people choose teams because they're successful, because they like the name, colours, think the players are skilled, just picked them randomly..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:48 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Igg wrote:
Many people support their local team
For example, if you're from Salford you support Manchester United, people from Leeds support Leeds United etc. (this is football).
However some people choose teams because they're successful, because they like the name, colours, think the players are skilled, just picked them randomly..

Well the only local teams here are the school teams.(VERY SMALL town.)

I still don't know.

Awesome set by Tomatie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:40 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Well local is also a relative term. I wouldn't call Boston or Foxboro local to me, but that is where the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots play. They are the closest national teams to me, therefore they are the local team.

If there isn't really a national team within hundreds of miles, you might root for a college team instead.

I'm finally back for the summer, although hopefully I'll spend a little more time away from this screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Indeed so. But its all up to you in the end.

If there's a player you like that sticks out for you... you may want to cheer for whatever team that person is on.

Or... maybe a team has your favorite colors as their jersey colors. Then you may sway to that one...

Most often... it will be the team closest to you. If you live in Washington, lets say, you'll probably be going for the Mariners. If you live in California and live int he south... it might be the Angels, Dodgers, or Padres... depending on which is closer.

It all depends. Just don't choose the Yankees ;)
ehehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:12 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Most people choose the local(ish) team, or a team that's been passed down. Like I'm a Red Sox fan because my dad went to law school in Boston.

I'd advise close-ish team though, since it's hard to watch the games on tv when you're 300 miles away. :roll:

<center>Image
Pink line pwns all!
</center>
Image <-- Thanks Medli!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:29 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I've lived in MA all my life, so I like all the local sport teams. Except the New England Revolution because I don't follow soccer. I've grown up around people that like the local teams, so I cheer for them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I support the teams my parents did when I was little. The steelers and flyers are local. The red sox however are a team my grandfather liked for some reason... which got passed to my dad... which got passed to us kids. Baseball is a disease in our house. We live and die by the sox, even in the offseason. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:58 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I go by a team which my parents have supported all of their life along with my sister.

Callie by local it could mean, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Florida Gators, Florida State Noles (wouldn't recommend this since your friend here is a Gator fan), Miami Hurricanes, or Jacksonville Jags I believe are all the large local teams.

EDIT:Or the Miami Dolphins...kinda forgot about them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:55 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

*Chellie wrote:
I go by a team which my parents have supported all of their life along with my sister.

Callie by local it could mean, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Florida Gators, Florida State Noles (wouldn't recommend this since your friend here is a Gator fan), Miami Hurricanes, or Jacksonville Jags I believe are all the large local teams.

EDIT:Or the Miami Dolphins...kinda forgot about them

You call them local?

For ya'll who don't know,we live in a small town in the middle of the state,the only way anyone would probabally know abou us is if you live near here or have heard of the 12 Hours of Sebring.Here we have the 12 minutes of AP

Anyway....when does Baseball season start?(yes i know,it just ended)

Awesome set by Tomatie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Callie wrote:
Anyway....when does Baseball season start?(yes i know,it just ended)

Opening day is April 4th. More relavent (to me anyways) is that pitchers and catchers report to spring training feb 19th. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I chose how most of the people here suggested. Some of the teams I watch are based on a certain player or players, and some are the local team.

There's no reason why you have to pick your local team if you don't want to. It's usually that way for some because it's more convenient to go to games and the stations tend to show the local team more. However, I would really suggest you watch a few games if you have the time. That's how I learned about certain players and therefore, how I picked that team.

In the case of hockey, I really owe that to television. I honestly don't think I would be as big of a hockey fan as I am now if it wasn't for watching games on television. I remember turning on the television at like 2 A.M. in the morning and watching Wayne Gretzky and the Kings take on some opponent I don't even remember now. There was also that time some eight, nine, ten years ago when I was flipping through channels and happened to land on the Dallas vs. Chicago game.

If you happen to not pick the local team as your favorite, you'll have to be prepared to take some heat from the local fans, especially if the game is big or if the team is a rival. I'm prepared to take some criticism on Wednesday, when the local Dallas Mavericks take on San Antonio. :)

Seeing how you live in Florida, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. :) (Florida State vs. Miami in college football)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:01 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I support the Red Sox because I grew up in Massachusetts. I think some people choose the current "dynasty" team *coughyankeescough* because they think they're rooting for the team that'll win. But they're not real fans. The real fans pick their local team, or one they're mentally attached to. For example, if I weren't a Red Sox fan, I would be an Angels or Cards fan--for some reason those teams appeal to me. I guess it's because the Cards (and the Angels) have great fans, and I'd be proud to be a part of that.
atomicblonde wrote:
More relavent (to me anyways) is that pitchers and catchers report to spring training feb 19th. :P

You're going?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]