Sports discussion. Towel whipping is strictly prohibited. It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
Topic locked

Re: Sports Injuries

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:35 pm

shapu wrote:I broke a girl's nose dancing once.

She married me.

Aww, that's sweet. I'm hoping it wasn't your first time meeting her -- if so, she's definitely a keeper!

I'm still trying to recover from my tendinitis. It's about 80-90% right now, but it's frustrating because I still can't exercise anything else to exhaustion without overdoing it. *sighs*

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Broke an arm playing football,
Popped my shoulder out of place from playing basketball,
And broke three ribs, and got numerous black eyes from kickboxing...
I still participate in all of the above sports regardless haha :)
:) :D :o :P

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:35 am

During one really stupid attempt to try something 'different', I attempted to rollerblade down a hill in the foresty Poconos of PA. Not in the forest, mind you, but the road heading down the hill.

....I'm not sure how I made it out of that with only minor scrapes on my side. I think physics and using my cross country jacket for drag probably helped some.

Unfortunately, since the most sports I've ever done include cross country and rollerblading, I can't say I've sported many injuries.

Re: Sports Injuries / knee injuries

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:09 am

shapu wrote:Worth noting:
The group of athletes that suffers the highest number of catastrophic knee injuries?

Cheerleaders!

Is this note about cheer leaders and knee injuries serious? How do they measure it, in terms of raw number of knee injuries or as a percentage of people involved, or something else?

Re: Sports Injuries / knee injuries

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 pm

411 wrote:
shapu wrote:Worth noting:
The group of athletes that suffers the highest number of catastrophic knee injuries?

Cheerleaders!

Is this note about cheer leaders and knee injuries serious? How do they measure it, in terms of raw number of knee injuries or as a percentage of people involved, or something else?

Serious as a blown knee.

It's measured by comparing the number of serious injuries relative to the number of participants - that's the only legitimate way to measure the frequency of sports injuries, because so many more people play some sports than others.

It has to do with the angle of a woman's legs relative to the ground - because women tend to have wider hips, that means that the legs are angled slightly inward (and with a very minor rotation) as you go from hip to knee. This angling creats unequal stresses on the ligaments from one side of the knee the other. If, say, an MCL is stressed more on the right side than the left, it's likely that it will rip from right to left, resulting in failure of the joint.
Topic locked