Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
User avatar

Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: SOMEWHERE.
Gender: Male
oops513 wrote:
i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P

My dad has the exact same problem. :)

I would suggest learning something VERY easy with whichever hand you're more comfortable with, then after a while, add the other hand and play the same thing, starting slowly. After you start to get the hang of it, you can move on to more challenging things, and eventually you can start playing slightly different notes on one hand. Of course, you could always just learn a song one hand at a time and slowly try to put them together, whatever works best. The key things to remember are to play SLOW and OFTEN.

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:24 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student
User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 am
[quote="Byakuya San"][quote="oops513"]i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P[/quote]
My dad has the exact same problem. :)

I would suggest learning something VERY easy with whichever hand you're more comfortable with, then after a while, add the other hand and play the same thing, starting slowly. After you start to get the hang of it, you can move on to more challenging things, and eventually you can start playing slightly different notes on one hand. Of course, you could always just learn a song one hand at a time and slowly try to put them together, whatever works best. The key things to remember are to play SLOW and OFTEN.

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.[/quote]

thanks alot! ive got a keyboard, and i used to take lessons but same as the cornet, i gave it up when i moved. i have actually been practising with some simple songs i found. but i also find it hard to read the notes and play them at the same time, i tend to just read them and play from memory!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
User avatar

Posts: 5779
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 am
Location: Dodging Giant Ice-Cream Scoops
Gender: Female
Byakuya San wrote:
oops513 wrote:
i want to learn the piano, although im totally hopeless at the whole 2 hand concept :P

My dad has the exact same problem. :)

I would suggest learning something VERY easy with whichever hand you're more comfortable with, then after a while, add the other hand and play the same thing, starting slowly. After you start to get the hang of it, you can move on to more challenging things, and eventually you can start playing slightly different notes on one hand. Of course, you could always just learn a song one hand at a time and slowly try to put them together, whatever works best. The key things to remember are to play SLOW and OFTEN.

Then again, I'm no music teacher, but Mayanspypilot is, so she might have a better way of learning.

Having taught piano (as well as played since I was 5), slow and frequent is definitely the best way to go. And I agree, you definitely want to start with very easy stuff first before trying something a lot harder. It may not take you too long to get the hang of the easy stuff, but it's always best to start there.

A method of practicing that I've seen get results (but requires a lot of patience):
- If you have a metronome, use it! Set it to something excruciatingly slow, start with one hand, and one line. Play that line over and over and over again, until you get it right at least 5 times in a row. Once you've gotten it right 5 times in a row, speed the metronome up a couple notches, and repeat until you get that part slightly faster than you really want it (this makes it easier when you put both hands together).
- Repeat this whole process with the other hand.
- Repeat this process with both hands together.

I would definitely recommend a teacher if at all possible, but if not, I know there are beginner's books out there for older people (IE, not geared towards 5 year olds, but more towards teens/adults). The name of them unfortunately is eluding me at the moment, but if I can find them from my piano pedagogy class notes, I'll post 'em.

One thing to keep in mind: no matter how you start, it will be frustrating for a while. Be patient, and stick to it!


Image
Set by KiTeNcHeTu!
Find me at WGF, where werewolf rocks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:26 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student
User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 am
great thanks alot pickles. i'll keep you informed of how it all goes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Posts: 6812
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:02 pm
Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
Gender: Female
First and foremost, you should always try to have a teacher when learning an instrument. There is just no substitute for a good teacher. That being said, I have some piano tips for people trying to learn songs, if you know the notes.

Practice one step at a time until you have mastered it. Don't go to the next step until you feel totally comfortable with the current step.

1. Practice patting out the rhythm of the song on the lid of the piano with both hands. Tap the heel of one of your feet and count out loud depending on your time signature (ex. If your time signature is 4/4, count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" for each measure.) Half of learning to play music is learning to listen to it! To make things easier, pat just the first beat of every measure, with both hands (note: not the first note of every measure, the first beat). Once you're comfortable with beat one, add beat two. Add a beat every time until you can successfully pat the entire song.

2. Open the piano and try to play just the first beat of every measure. This is basically Step 1, but with the actual piano keys. Now, here's where things change. Once you can play beat one of every measure with both hands, add beat two, but only with your left hand. Most people try to concentrate on their right hand, since that's the hand that usually plays the melody. You want to focus on the foundation of the song. Still play beat one with both hands, but only add the remaining beats of the measure with your left hand, one beat at a time.

3. Once you can play the entire left hand part with your right hand playing beat one, slowly add beat two with your right hand. Repeat with beats three and four. Eventually you'll have the whole song.

This is a long process, but you learn the song really well - you could probably play it in your sleep practically. And you can adapt it for whatever instrument you play. I've varied it for all of my band students and we learn all of our music this way. It really helps you feel successful the first time you actually sit down to play the song the whole way through.

Man, I'm tired now after thinking of how to write all of that out. But remember, there's no substitute for sitting down every week to have a lesson with a teacher!


Image
It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:13 am 
PPT God
PPT God
User avatar

Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Wherever there are lulz.
I can play flute, only it's hard to now because I just got braces and it kind of mucks up the airflow.


I don't exist. omo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Posts: 2146
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:25 am
Location: HOT DANG!!
Gender: Female
Helena wrote:
I can play flute, only it's hard to now because I just got braces and it kind of mucks up the airflow.

ye, when you have braces, it just makes everything harder. Im just happy I had mine taken off 3 years ago :D

Flute interests me, but Im more interested in the instruments with strings. Who knows though I might one day decide to pick up a flute or a piccolo ;)


Image
set by Sakura


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:11 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student
User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 am
thats alot mayanspypilot. very useful tips!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
User avatar

Posts: 3386
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 4:59 pm
Location: Lookin' through a glass onion
mayanspypilot wrote:
First and foremost, you should always try to have a teacher when learning an instrument. There is just no substitute for a good teacher. That being said, I have some piano tips for people trying to learn songs, if you know the notes.

Practice one step at a time until you have mastered it. Don't go to the next step until you feel totally comfortable with the current step.

1. Practice patting out the rhythm of the song on the lid of the piano with both hands. Tap the heel of one of your feet and count out loud depending on your time signature (ex. If your time signature is 4/4, count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" for each measure.) Half of learning to play music is learning to listen to it! To make things easier, pat just the first beat of every measure, with both hands (note: not the first note of every measure, the first beat). Once you're comfortable with beat one, add beat two. Add a beat every time until you can successfully pat the entire song.

2. Open the piano and try to play just the first beat of every measure. This is basically Step 1, but with the actual piano keys. Now, here's where things change. Once you can play beat one of every measure with both hands, add beat two, but only with your left hand. Most people try to concentrate on their right hand, since that's the hand that usually plays the melody. You want to focus on the foundation of the song. Still play beat one with both hands, but only add the remaining beats of the measure with your left hand, one beat at a time.

3. Once you can play the entire left hand part with your right hand playing beat one, slowly add beat two with your right hand. Repeat with beats three and four. Eventually you'll have the whole song.

This is a long process, but you learn the song really well - you could probably play it in your sleep practically. And you can adapt it for whatever instrument you play. I've varied it for all of my band students and we learn all of our music this way. It really helps you feel successful the first time you actually sit down to play the song the whole way through.

Man, I'm tired now after thinking of how to write all of that out. But remember, there's no substitute for sitting down every week to have a lesson with a teacher!

Yep! This is what I do in my piano class, except we bring singing into it too. It works very well with or without singing.


Image
Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:02 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
User avatar

Posts: 771
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Female
My primary instruments are flute and piccolo. I have very basic piano and guitar skills and for a while I tried playing trombone in jazz band. I have to start picking up my guitar again soon...I'm trying to break out of the "Why can't I get the hang of this?!" stage.

I have working knowledge of clarinet, saxophone and baritone and could...proooobably reach a reasonable level of proficiency in a short time. I know how the other brass instruments work but the smaller/bigger mouthpiece sizes would slow things down a lot. I've never tried any double reeds.

I like singing too. I love how my voice is on the lower end and I can sing a lot of songs I like that other girls may struggle with. But my range is pretty small...not even and octave and a half....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:33 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler
User avatar

Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: England
Alto Saxophone :) I *was* learning The Pink Panther but I kind of... dropped the sheet at my music lesson and it fell into a puddle xD


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm 
PPT God
PPT God
User avatar

Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:15 pm
Location: Wherever there are lulz.
guineadan wrote:
Alto Saxophone :) I *was* learning The Pink Panther but I kind of... dropped the sheet at my music lesson and it fell into a puddle xD


I was playing that on meh flute the other day... I lost the sheet music... :P


I don't exist. omo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:58 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler
User avatar

Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: England
Lol, the sheet music is cursed :o


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God
User avatar

Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:14 pm
Location: Maryland, but why do you ask *shifty eyes*
Gender: Female
I play piano, ocarina, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, upright bass, and electric bass. I alsow frequently compose. I'm a band geek. :D


Image
Set by Byakuya'<3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: playing instruments
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:19 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby
User avatar

Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:42 am
haha, cool! Is ocarina fun? I considered getting one and learning...after realizing the true amazing-ness that is Zelda.


Image
@->->--
A rose for you, my love...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group