Discuss music in any form from rock bands to Britney Spears' latest VMA performance. It's all good!
Topic locked

What's this song...

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:14 am

So I heard this song... and I have no idea what it was. It started out "downtown, where all the lights are bright", and then said that again but in a different key. There was something about "pendulum swings" and big ben. Female voices, kind of poppy. Does anyone have any idea what song this is?

Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:13 pm

I did a lyric search on google and this is what I came up with. I knew the song sounded familiar.

http://lyrics.rare-lyrics.com/P/Petula-Clark/Downtown.html

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:10 pm

Sounds like 'Downtown'

There's lots of people that have covered this song, and it was featured in one of the Short Circuit films (If you've not seen it, yes it's a bit dates but GO JOHNNY 5!!! Woot!)

People who have sang this song are:
Petula Clark
Dolly Parton
Emma Bunton
Frank Sinatra
and the B-52's.

I also seem to remember having to cover this song a lot when I did my standard grade and highers in music when I was at school.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:34 am

No, it definitely started with the downtown bit. And mentioned Big Ben and I think at least one other London landmark

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 am

ok, I searched 'downtown big ben' and up popped a song by Area 7 called Big Ben. There are no lyrics posted anywhere as it looks like someone's gone to each of the lyrics sites and told them to take them down.

Perhaps they've sampled a bit of the original downtown? Or at least used bits of the lyrics if it has "downtown, where all the lights are bright", cos that's straight from the song.
Topic locked