For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Post a reply

The Beauty Contest: In need of major overhaul?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:43 am

Image

I trust some of you have seen this, and I trust most of you have seen the current state of the Beauty Contest. Many images that don't have nearly as much effort and talent put in to them as others in the same category are winning merely because the artist is popular or they traded votes.

The Beauty Contest's name implies that it should be about the best pictures winning, not the ones that could scrounge up the most votes despite their bad quality.

I propose a complete overhaul of the system that would include taking the right of voting away from the users. Instead of having the users vote, all images should be reviewed by a group of staff members and the top 3 in each category (and the best over all) should be chosen. The entries should be on display for users to view, just in case art theft was overlooked and to promote Neopia's artists.

What are your opinions?

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:45 am

Feli is working out some things with the programmer, I think she's requesting higher standards from what I understand, and she's trying to think of something to stop the 'popularity' votes from huge websites o.o

atleast shes doing something :D

Beauty-lairity contests :P

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:50 am

plushie wrote:Feli is working out some things with the programmer, I think she's requesting higher standards from what I understand, and she's trying to think of something to stop the 'popularity' votes from huge websites o.o

atleast shes doing something :D

Beauty-lairity contests :P


It's wonderful that they're doing something to improve this. I'm personally sick of seeing copy-and-pasters win.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:51 am

It should totally be judged by the staff, I couldn't agree more.

x_x

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:52 am

God yes!

>_> I am so upset at the Cloudneo people for repeatedly entering the BC just because they know they'll win with their super popular site. e_e They've entered like three times in a row now with different pets. What is wrong with these people and their greed? *sighs*

u_u I have no clue how I managed to make it last week, but I a) was on the BC 24/7 and b) advertised my smurf off on Neo. All they have to do is post a little link and everybody votes! Plus the effort I put into the picture.

e_e They really need to review the system. The offsite thing is smurf me off.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:53 am

Yes I've seen that banner before, and I must say, I do agree. In one of the past two or three months I went to see who won overall for last weeks some time ago. I look at the votes and there I see it, a neopian artist drawn apple chia (the one that neopets already drew) that flashes into 5 or 6 different colors and thats it. It has won #1 overall, with about 10k votes. I look at the below picture and see that it is VERY well drawn, but it only has 500 votes. That really ticked me off--I didnt even participate in the BC--and it still did. No exaggerations, entirely true. That dumbfounded me and I found out that the BC is a skewed version of a vote-trading, multiple-account voting, guild account-voting, image-stealing, picture "defacing", competition. And I say defacing meaning getting the original image and adding in a hat with paint or something of the sort.

Re: x_x

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:54 am

chibizoo wrote:God yes!

>_> I am so upset at the Cloudneo people for repeatedly entering the BC just because they know they'll win with their super popular site. e_e They've entered like three times in a row now with different pets. What is wrong with these people and their greed? *sighs*

u_u I have no clue how I managed to make it last week, but I a) was on the BC 24/7 and b) advertised my smurf off on Neo. All they have to do is post a little link and everybody votes! Plus the effort I put into the picture.

e_e They really need to review the system. The offsite thing is smurf me off.


I can understand that you'd be upset. The BC should be about quality, not how many fans you have.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:57 am

Maybe TNT should make it so none of the names are visible and the url of the entry changes, then no one will really be able to trade votes as they don't know which picture to vote for.

Re: x_x

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 am

Fiddelysquat wrote:
chibizoo wrote:God yes!

>_> I am so upset at the Cloudneo people for repeatedly entering the BC just because they know they'll win with their super popular site. e_e They've entered like three times in a row now with different pets. What is wrong with these people and their greed? *sighs*

u_u I have no clue how I managed to make it last week, but I a) was on the BC 24/7 and b) advertised my smurf off on Neo. All they have to do is post a little link and everybody votes! Plus the effort I put into the picture.

e_e They really need to review the system. The offsite thing is smurf me off.


I can understand that you'd be upset. The BC should be about quality, not how many fans you have.



x_x Its too hard for them to change it. What they should do is make the judges choice count for like 500 votes or something :x

o_O @ the edits. Smurf. XD; *amused*

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:58 am

Darklegendary wrote:Maybe TNT should make it so none of the names are visible and the url of the entry changes, then no one will really be able to trade votes as they don't know which picture to vote for.


People will still find a way around it.


"Look until you find -insert image here- and vote!"


Chibi, it still wouldn't matter if the judge's votes counted for 500 if there are going to be ridiculous gaps. They should be very selective about entries because frankly, an art contest is no place for amateur art. This is a chance for people who work very hard on their images to shine through.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 am

Fiddelysquat wrote:
Darklegendary wrote:Maybe TNT should make it so none of the names are visible and the url of the entry changes, then no one will really be able to trade votes as they don't know which picture to vote for.


People will still find a way around it.


"Look until you find -insert image here- and vote!"


Chibi, it still wouldn't matter if the judge's votes counted for 500 if there are going to be ridiculous gaps. They should be very selective about entries because frankly, an art contest is no place for amateur art. This is a chance for people who work very hard on their images to shine through.


I can see why they might not agree with this. It would be quite similar to the AG (no.. really) only harder cause they -really- have to look through every single entry and make sure that it isn't a rip off from a site like Suta Raito (got forbid!). While I realise that the BC is trying to give all artists a chance, maybe a large increase in votes, or maybe the judges selecting entries from several finalists could help even the odds instead of making it another potential AG.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 am

I agree, even though I hate to, because my drawing is so bad I rely on advertising xD. But, in my eyes I see that they don't care that people advertise links and stuff to their entry. Look at the Beauty Contest board description:
Advertise your Beauty Contest entries, and see others you can vote for. (Remember, you can only advertise or start topics regarding YOUR OWN Beauty Contest entry!)


I think they should delete the beauty contest board so people cannot advertise, and if they do on another board, it is considered spam. Just my opinion.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:10 am

legoquilt wrote:I agree, even though I hate to, because my drawing is so bad I rely on advertising xD. But, in my eyes I see that they don't care that people advertise links and stuff to their entry. Look at the Beauty Contest board description:
Advertise your Beauty Contest entries, and see others you can vote for. (Remember, you can only advertise or start topics regarding YOUR OWN Beauty Contest entry!)


I think they should delete the beauty contest board so people cannot advertise, and if they do on another board, it is considered spam. Just my opinion.


The problem is that many people spam via neomail to get votes, and others rely no the sites they own.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:13 am

But if you remove the ability to advertize your BC entry, how can you get votes? I agree that the system is flawed, but outlawing advertizing takes away even MORE voted from the hard workers. *wonders what people would think if he sent in his full custom Sprite Foxer6 into the contest*

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:19 am

Fiddelysquat wrote:The problem is that many people spam via neomail to get votes, and others rely no the sites they own.


Yea, that may be true, but the person with the entry must take awhile to neomail all those people, even with a bad entry. The people the person would neomail probably wouldnt vote, unless it was a good entry because that neomail reciever is not one of those BCCers giving votes away like candy. I wouldnt mind a vote neomail or two, I would simply delete it.

Its late, sorry if it doesn't make sense :zzz:
Post a reply