For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

Um, this isn't a good thing is it? :S

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:31 am

What are Active X Controls or whatever?

I feel stupid right now. Very stupid.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:54 am

I get that at some other sites sometimes. I have no idea what it is. When I refresh, it goes away.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 am

I think that unless you get that from a reliable source/website, it's adware stuff that installs bad programs on your computer.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:07 am

I think you dont have the appropriate program to display that banner, its probably the one that puts a cockroach on your page or something. Your settings say you can install it without asking but you're firewall/spyware thing wont let you.

I THINK thats whats happening, but maybe you're just blocking banners. Thats my theory anyways, *shrugs*.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:00 am

thats pretty much always (except from Microsoft sites) Spyware

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:24 am

It's on Neo - there's no ad. View Source and you'll see it's coming from something called Partner-Source.

Here's what I get first:

Then I click No, and get that Your Security Settings do not allow .... blah blah blah.

Very annoying.

I get this nowhere else and I do scan with a/v and 3 differnt spyware detector/removers every night (it's just scheduled), as well as clearing my cookies and temp internet every day.

I don't know if it's that roach *shudder* ad - I've seen that one!

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:27 am

O.o

No, it's not a good thing at all.

Well..

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:00 am

it is good that Window's XP stops this ad from displaying, but no, it is not good that Neopets has had to resort to getting sponsorship from adware/spyware companies... On my pc, this warning always displays when a "Gator" ad is trying to install something. Gator is a well known internet "evil".

I did write to Neopets to inform them of their dodgy sponsors, but I didn't get a reply.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:07 am

I don't think I ever got that while on Neo before ...maybe that one ad never came up for me or something ....
*shrug*

Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:36 am

I get those all the time and... know what they're from. :) If you go into "Tools," then "Internet Options," then "Security," then "Restricted Sites," then click on "Sites." If there are any sites listed, they're what's causing that notice.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:22 am

notanderson, yep, I use spywareblaster - there's around 3,000! things that tries to block, mostly by entering automatically bad urls/cookies into your restricted sites. Then there's all the ones I add ;)

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:51 am

I got that when I was watching a Peta video from my Peta CD. I press ok and all's fine for me, but meh.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:29 am

Meh, we should all hit Microsoft over the head with wet noodles for coming up with Active X. Some ads have Active X in them, which means that they try to run programs on your computer without you knowing it. These are usually (almost always) meant to ruin your life and steal your money. Active X was a terrible idea and should be scraped from the face of the Earth and burned.

*not a Microsoft supporter*

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:03 am

everconfused wrote:notanderson, yep, I use spywareblaster - there's around 3,000! things that tries to block, mostly by entering automatically bad urls/cookies into your restricted sites. Then there's all the ones I add ;)

I don't put too many in my restricted sites any more, (the activex control notice annoyingly pops up on my computer, if I put in every site... well, I'd have to click "ok" every time I went to a different page) I mostly put the cookie blockers in under Privacy. It blocks a lot of the fairly easy-to-block spyware cookies. (cookies from places like ad.doubleclick.net are not easy to block =0\ )

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:07 am

What did you do to your IE... I noticed on the top bar it has a different font than its supposed to...
Topic locked