If you're feeling down and blue and need a little pick-me-up, then this is the place to be people!
Topic locked

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:35 am

I say a'ight all da time, 'cuz I'm straight gangstuh.

Anyway, does "bloody hell" count as a saying? :lol:

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:51 am

I'm quite amused by how "Orright?" seems to be the new Brit way of greeting people. Me and my bf didn't really know what to say to that, so ended up mumbling something like "Er, not bad thanks, how are you?" (apparently the correct reply is actually "Orright?"... I'm not sure o_O)

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:47 am

mazil wrote:I'm quite amused by how "Orright?" seems to be the new Brit way of greeting people. Me and my bf didn't really know what to say to that, so ended up mumbling something like "Er, not bad thanks, how are you?" (apparently the correct reply is actually "Orright?"... I'm not sure o_O)

i dont like it when people greet me with "whats up?" as i never know what to say other than "not much".

I have been informed this afternoon that "bank holiday" is an english thing and i should call them public holidays, because "who cares what the banks are doing?!"

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:17 am

mazil wrote:I'm quite amused by how "Orright?" seems to be the new Brit way of greeting people. Me and my bf didn't really know what to say to that, so ended up mumbling something like "Er, not bad thanks, how are you?" (apparently the correct reply is actually "Orright?"... I'm not sure o_O)

I've lived here 2 years, and still have trouble managing a reply to that. XD

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:45 am

"All right?"
"Yeah, not bad, you?"

Will work fine :P

Or

"All right Igg"
"*nod* Daisy"

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:58 am

rachel wrote:

i dont like it when people greet me with "whats up?" as i never know what to say other than "not much".

'Your cholesterol/BMI'
'The Ceiling'
'Certainly not your IQ level'
'Whatever it is, it must come down'
'American slang apparently'
'spy satelittes'

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:45 pm

Igg wrote:"All right?"
"All right Igg"
"*nod* Daisy"

I'm not quite sure how to say, "I think of that as an awfully mannish exchange," other than to say, "I think of that as a very mannish exchange." My friends and I all great each other like that:

"*nod* Carl."
"*nod* Tom."
"*nod* shapu."
"*nod* Wentworth. How's the missus?"
"*Nod* Fine. Carl."

Ad infinitum.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Oh we all talk like that in the North.

:D

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:19 pm

I liked how when I was in London, everyone always said "mind," like we had talking elevators that would say "third floor" and "mind your head" or "mind the door." Whenever we would go on the tube (subway), it would say "mind the gap." I don't know why, I just found that really entertaining and funny. It was obvious I wasn't from around there XD. (I was called a Yank at one point too)

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:13 pm

Moongewl wrote:Yes, but toilet doesn't sound at all nice when said with an American accent. It's much too harsh a word, despite all the vowels. And saying loo with an American accent isn't any better.

One of the worse words to use in America which is harmless in the UK
is the word rubber, as in the UK it refers to what Americans like to call a eraser but in American it refers to a condom.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:13 pm

Combusken BG wrote:
Moongewl wrote:Yes, but toilet doesn't sound at all nice when said with an American accent. It's much too harsh a word, despite all the vowels. And saying loo with an American accent isn't any better.

One of the worse words to use in America which is harmless in the UK
is the word rubber, as in the UK it refers to what Americans like to call a eraser but in American it refers to a condom.

Good old times in year 3 :D

"Can I borrow your ru-err I meant eraser" *shifty looks*

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:16 pm

*insert Churchill quote here*

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm

I don't get it, what do you guys call the toilets then? O_O Urination/Faeces Facillities? Or the lavetory?

"Oooh I'm just going to pop off to the LAVETORYYYYY"

o_O

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:06 pm

jellyoflight wrote:

I don't get it, what do you guys call the toilets then? O_O Urination/Faeces Facillities? Or the lavetory?

o_O

Lol, I'm from Scotland - and an old term they used to use was - I'm off to the lavy, meaning they were off to the loo. In fact, it's better than what my father-in-law uses... I'm off tae the cludgie!

Hmm, another British saying - well more Scots:

Dinnae lose the heid - meaning don't lose your temper and do something you regret.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:36 am

jellyoflight wrote:

o_O

Restroom/Bathroom, usually, though I'd admit neither really make that much sense outside of a bath-equipped room (well, nothing but toilet makes sense, actually). Restroom, I suppose makes sense, if you like to rest on the toilets and read the newspapers for hours or something. ._.

I know there are a few more, but I don't hear them enough to be able type them off the top of my head.
Topic locked