Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Types of forums and forum users
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

If you haven't seen Flame Warriors and the Grand List of Forum and Community Laws, do so now. I've actually contributed to the latter (Reverse Briar Patch Rule, Skew Line Debate Rule, Visual Zombification Postulate, Killing Joke, McHabe's Rule, Hell Hath No Trollbait), but basically, those sites are so awesome that anything we do here will look feeble by comparison, and you'll love it anyway.

Regardless.

The Idiot Sewer
If more than 20% of the users talk in chatspeak, and less than 10% use correct grammar, you've ended up in the Idiot Sewer. Expect that 10% and the people who think they're a part of it to go on about how "literate" they are, but really, if they were all that smart, they wouldn't post in a place where the vast majority of the userbase will completely miss the point of their posts.

(Pot meet kettle, by the by. I stuck around on Gaia for a good four years before giving up.)

Pot o' Bile
If you say anything outside the norm in the Pot, prepare for a barrage of fail macros. If you hate spoilers, your pants will be spoiled off the first time you mention it. If you write like a normal human being, you will be told unequivocally to lurk more, until you absorb that you're supposed to tell whiners to go be "an hero", not, y'know, try to commisserate or help them in any way. (SomethingAwful is a peculiar case - given its trigger-happy mods and its active shunning of all things meme, you'd think people would at least be civil out of sheer terror. Not so.)

Esoteria
Esoteria was founded on a ridiculously narrow subject. Enthusiasm for remote-control cars, potted geraniums or Joseph Merrick - things no one in their right mind would make a whole forum about, but there it is anyway. Given that there's only so much one can actually talk about these things, expect the forum to garner new posts on a biweekly basis, if you're lucky. Esoteria, however, has a surprising longevity, certainly surpassing that of the forum founded for no better reason than to talk about everything.

Do what you will; but I will hinder it if I may.

-- Eowyn of the Mark

Post subject: Re: Types of forums and forum users
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:10 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Hay now. FOJCM's members post at LEAST weekly.

And are completely insane, true...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 am 
PPT God
PPT God

PPT forum users: Inactive

I expect to get a reply in a month or so ;).

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
I think your theory just went bye-bye out the window Hil. Here comes the reply one month early.

Nice to see you posting again. Where has life taken you?

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Nowhere, and everywhere. ;) I post here whenever I remember, but I haven't played Neopets in a longgggg time.

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

This is my favorite so far:

Quote:
Law of Efficacious Text: The longer the post to a debate thread, the more the poster will feel satisfied that they have addressed and flawlessly countered all of their opponent's points, regardless of whether or not they did or if their post even makes any sense.

That reminds me of those people who start responding with a line-by-line breakdown of their opponents' posts, and yet evade the main points.

The entry on shoutboxes reminded me of an article I recently submitted, "The effects of a shoutbox on a forum community."

I run The Infinity Program, a den of villains and swashbucklers.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]