Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bird observation tower
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:48 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I'm applying for a certain art university (to study audiovisual art), and one of the tasks in the entrance exam is to make a collage of three pictures, themed "Me and my landscape(s)". So this is a watercolour painting I made for the task. It's a bit messy, and the tree's shadow is a bit off... but other than that I think I did pretty well. Especially as I haven't painted with watercolours in about 7 years :)

CLICK

Post subject: Re: Bird observation tower
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:35 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Oooh, pwetty! <3 I love it! It's really good. I like the way you used different shades of each colour, especially in the lake reflections. ^_^

I don't exist. omo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:58 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

@_@ The colors.

It's beautiful! I wish I could paint remotely like that. *goes off and sulks in the band room*

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:28 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I think that painting is great considering you stated that you haven't painted with watercolours in a while :)
I'll be saving it if you don;t mind, I like to collect the most random pictures in the world XD

set by Sakura

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I really like it. That's amazing considering you said you hadnt used watercolors in a while...i can just imagine what it would look like once you got used to it again. :o
Lee wrote:
@_@ The colors.

It's beautiful! I wish I could paint remotely like that. *goes off and sulks in the band room*

agreed.

Awesome set by Tomatie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Thank you guys! :) I was quite surprised myself of how it turned out.. I guess I had traumas from my childhood, when all paintings were swimming in water, had holes in the paper and the brushes looked like squished spiders.

Anyhow, it was quite fun to paint it so I think I'll do another one sometime in near future. Maybe a bird! ~:>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Are you using hot or cold pressed water color paper? (do you know?) it looks a bit like cold pressed since it's not all that flat. Are you using paper from a pad or are you trimming down a sheet? How big is the original? Are you masking off the edges of your image to leave it clean to the edge? What size of brush are you using? Do you know what weight your paper is? The heavier the paper the less likely it will need to be stretched before use.

It's not a bad painting, it's quite nice. You may want to work on your composition (and do some reading about composition in art, as it's quite important). Your horizon line lies is a bit above center (thats good!) and the general composition does allow for your eye to move around. I'm not sure if it's just the scan/photo quality of the image but that large area of dark does tend to just suck you in. Perhaps you should try working it around a bit in the future so that there's a direct line of movement around the image. The image does tend to be heavy towards the left. It's very nice though and you should definately continue using watercolor. It's a fun medium to work with. And landscapes can be beautiful! Kudos!

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

That's really really good! Better than what I can do. :)

Thank you, Secret Santa!
I wonder who that was...?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:40 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

ahoteinrun wrote:
Are you using hot or cold pressed water color paper? (do you know?) it looks a bit like cold pressed since it's not all that flat. Are you using paper from a pad or are you trimming down a sheet? How big is the original? Are you masking off the edges of your image to leave it clean to the edge? What size of brush are you using? Do you know what weight your paper is? The heavier the paper the less likely it will need to be stretched before use.

Uhh... *points at self* Amateur :P I have no idea about the paper - it was just some cheap watercolour pad from which I ripped a sheet. The palette was also cheap and simple, and I think it was primarily meant for kids, heh. Only the brush was of a better quality, I mostly used a very thin one. A bigger one for the lake and the sky.
The original has a width of a vertical A4. I had to glue the painting on an A4 with two other pictures, so I couldn't make it that big. Actually I had to cut a bit from each side, as it wouldn't have fitted otherwise.
ahoteinrun wrote:
It's not a bad painting, it's quite nice. You may want to work on your composition (and do some reading about composition in art, as it's quite important). Your horizon line lies is a bit above center (thats good!) and the general composition does allow for your eye to move around. I'm not sure if it's just the scan/photo quality of the image but that large area of dark does tend to just suck you in. Perhaps you should try working it around a bit in the future so that there's a direct line of movement around the image. The image does tend to be heavy towards the left. It's very nice though and you should definately continue using watercolor. It's a fun medium to work with. And landscapes can be beautiful! Kudos!

Thank you for the advice. As mentioned, I have very little knowledge of composition and watercolour in general, so this was of great help :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]